Prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID

Hi. My husband and I purchased a propeller at a garage sale full of vintage items, yesterday. It is 54 inches long and I believe the wood is maple. It has a coating on the back of it (and a motor the guy attached to it!) My dad (an 87 year old former pilot) says he is pretty sure it is authentic and not a repro. Does anyone have any thoughts on age/related plane? It has no markings on it, except for 54 and 27. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JMAviator; 06-30-2019, 04:31 PM. Reason: would like a better title

I think it is an ultralight propeller that has been re-purposed at some point. Note the filled bolt holes, particularly the sequence of four holes in a smaller radius, along with two sets of 6 holes. It may have originally be a reproduction display prop but I think the ultralight usage is more likely.

It would not be an "authentic" prop for a certificated aircraft of any kind, as it would have design and serial numbers stamped around the hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      I think it is an ultralight propeller that has been re-purposed at some point. Note the filled bolt holes, particularly the sequence of four holes in a smaller radius, along with two sets of 6 holes. It may have originally be a reproduction display prop but I think the ultralight usage is more likely.

It would not be an "authentic" prop for a certificated aircraft of any kind, as it would have design and serial numbers stamped around the hub.
      Thank you very much! That makes sense from what I've been researching. As far as this being a reproduction, it had wear on it and I wasn't sure why there would be the dark coating on the back of it if it was just made for display.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAviator View Post
        Thank you very much! That makes sense from what I've been researching. As far as this being a reproduction, it had wear on it and I wasn't sure why there would be the dark coating on the back of it if it was just made for display.
        That, plus there's a reason it is drilled for several different bolt hole circles, which wouldn't likely be done with a display prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
          That, plus there's a reason it is drilled for several different bolt hole circles, which wouldn't likely be done with a display prop.
          Got it - thanks, again!

Comment

Working...
          X