Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

My father has a 8ft Westmoore propeller that he is trying to identify (year manufactured, what type aircraft used on, etc.) and ultimately sell.

I do not have all the specific information about the propeller - markings and what not.

Any help that might poitn us in the right diretion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

See if you can find out exactly what is stamped on the hub. If you want to send me pictures I can post them here.
    Dave

Comment

Dave, my father just gave me all this info:

The propeller is approximately 9ft. 6in. in length. The diameter of the hub is 11in. and the hole in the hub is 3 1/4in. There are 8 knobs still attached to the hub.

The propeller has the Westmoore Propeller Co. logo on each end of the prop. The decal shows an address of N. Ada Street in Chicago, Illinois.

There is also stamping on each side of the hub:

On the left
      No. 5243.
      R.9.

On the right
      C.10.V.2
      C.P. 11612
      R.H.

My grandmother remembers being in the plane where we think the propeller came from when she was 9 yrs old which would be 1921.

The prop is in good condition. I am trying to get some photos of the prop from my father.

Like I said, he has no more use for it and is looking to sell. Any ideas about value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve Aufdenspring
      aufdenspring@comcast.net

Comment

That drawing number applied to the propeller for the Curtiss R4. See this link for an example. Since yours is stamped R9, I would assume that it's the same propeller but was used on the Liberty powered version of the same aircraft.

See this link http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/...ns/bombers.txt

Following aircraft were used before a code sequence was assigned. During
        WWI, the US used large numbers of French and British aircraft; these
        are not included here.

Curtiss R4
        Two-seat bomber first flown in 1915. Used for training.
        Type: R4
        Year: 1915 Crew: 2 Engines: 1 * 200hp Curtiss V-2
        Max. Speed: 90mph Ceiling: m Max. Range: km
        Armament: 1020lbs
        Curtiss R6
        Development of the R4 with a 200hp Curtiss or Liberty engine.
        Curtiss R9
        Development of the R4 with a 200hp Liberty engine. Had the
        distinction of being the first US built military aircraft
        to serve abroad.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X