Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about Antique Propellor

Hello,

I am hoping to find more information in relation to a wooden propellor that has been on the ceiling of my house, since I bought it 20 years ago.

I'm unlikely to sell it, but would also be most curious as to the value.

It is a full size propeller, markings on the side of the propellor are :
    AD555 RH (From reading here, I think that means it was owned by US Navy, and the propellor would have spun to the right)
    130HP Clerget (I believe this is the engine it was attached to)
    D.2340 (I think this is diameter, 2.34m)
    P.2670 (Pitch, though not sure what that is)

On both sides of the front of the propellor are marked the serial number
    G.I. 090 N44

I could post pictures if helpful. I am most curious to find out any information I can about this and what sort of aircraft it might have originally been attached to. Any information whatsoever would be hugely appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Greg

There were several variants of AD555, and it's unclear to me what aircraft that one was designed for. Pictures would help, especially of the stampings. I haven't found a model that lists that diameter and pitch, so if the stamps aren't completely clear, they might need some interpretation.

Please post photos, especially details of the stamps.

Comment

Pictures

Hi

Thanks a million for the prompt reply, hugely appreciated.

Took a while to figure out how to create a shareable link to the photos, but here they are.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkjUAKCLdoveKLvs6

ANy info hugely appreciated,
      Greg

Comment

I think the diameter is 2640 mm, not 2360, Compare the second digit on yours to the "3" in "Clerget 130" and note the horizontal rather than curved shape of the top of that digit.

I'm away from any of my reference materials until tomorrow, but I'll see if I can find more information, unless Bob Gardner beats me to it, which he often does. There is probably more than one aircraft that could have used that model.

Comment

Good spot

Yes, thanks indeed, I believe you are correct 2640. I had the suspicion that it was more than 2.3m in diameter, the ceilings in the room are 2.7m, and the diameter is just a tiny bit less. Appreciate your help.

Comment

The only published match with those exact specs is in Bob Gardner's book, British Propeller Makers of WW1, Part 1 which lists it simply for "Sopwith Bomber". The "AD" refers to the Air Department of the Admiralty, which ceased to exist by 1918..

In the photos I can't tell what's going on with the hub. It looks as if there may be a plug of some kind inserted in there, perhaps to hang it from the ceiling, but the value would depend heavily on whether the entire hub is intact or if it's been altered. It also appears that the prop has been refinished at some point, possibly many years before you acquired it, and that would also reduce its value.

Speaking of Bob's books and if you plan to keep the propeller you should definitely see if he still has a copy of that volume and buy it if he does. (See this link to his announcement.) It adds value to the prop you own and also contains the information cited above along with photos of the decals that would have been present on the blades.

And finally, please feel free to donate to this site (which is non-commercial and run entirely at my expense) by going to the home page, and clicking on the PayPal link. Donations can elevate member status to "Forum Contributor".

Comment

Working...
            X