No announcement yet.

Can you help ID this wooden prop, pls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help ID this wooden prop, pls?

Hi!
    I'm a newbie, so pls forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place...
    Or with insufficient info...
    Have just bought a rather handsome wooden propeller (genuine, not repro!)
    It is approx. 5ft long (1500mm) with a 1" (25mm) centre hole and 6 x 1/3" (8mm) holes around it.
    It does not have any brass additions to the leadings edge, though there is evidence of a repair on one side.
    The tips of both ends are damaged, one of them quite badly - so I assume that it came to a sticky end...
    The embossed numerals are:
    62 44 462
    163 7 88
    I bought this in England, if that helps the identification, though it could have come from anywhere...
    If anyone can provide any info on this prop, my wife and I would be very grateful!
    Many thanks in advance.
    Regards, Martin
    PS I can provide photo's, if that helps.
    Last edited by Martin001; 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM.

Yes, please provide photos. If the numbers aren't clear, a close up of those might help as well.

Comment

Many thanks! Here are a few pics - hope they help!
      Rgds, Martin
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

That's going to be tough to identify, particularly without a manufacturer name. Based on its size and general shape I think that it's more likely from an ultralight or some other non-certificated aircraft, or possibly even a non-aviation use of some kind.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for yr kind reply, Mr. Bahnson. I wonder, can anyone else throw any light on this item, pls? Any help gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Comment

'Morning Martin,

We can tell one or two things from your prop. It is a flown example because there are witness marks where the hub plate was fitted. The bolt holes have little or no evidence of the ovality, which occurs in the thrust plane. So once fitted to the aircraft it didn't fly far before it was broken. The damage suggests the prop was on a tail-dragger rather than a tricycle undercarriage. It's not modern because it is wooden. A modern light aircraft would have a fibre-glass prop.

All of this suggests that it is from a British private light aircraft which flew in the 1930's and 1950's.

I don't have a record of a five-foot propeller but the aircraft listed below all have small props and tiny engines. Google should provide photographs.

Miles Whitney-Straight with a Gipsy engine had a 6'2" prop.
            Miles Hawk with the Gipsy Six R engine, a 6' prop.
            Monospar ST25 with a Niagara III engine, a 4'6" prop!
            The Supermarine Sparrow with a Blackburn 1100cc engine had a 4' prop.
            (Supermarine might have called this aircraft the Sparrow because it could only fly in ground-effect, hopping over hedges.)

However, all the above is merely my line thought!

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob. Many thanks for your helpful and interesting reply - much appreciated.
              Liked the Sparrow joke!
              Will Google the aircraft you mentioned.
              If you, or anyone else, should have any more thoughts, we'd be very pleased to receive them, as it would be so useful to know at least some of its history.
              Thanks again!

Kind regards, Martin

Comment

Working...
              X