No announcement yet.

Identify propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was quite a bit of variation in the hub diameter and even the hub thickness, some of it even due to wood shrinkage, but the bolt circle diameter is a fixed number dictated by the bolt placement of the metal hub, and the hub was essentially part of the engine. (I've never seen or heard of more than one size of the hub for any engine, although it's quite conceivable that a prop of less thickness could be easily fitted simply by using shorter bolts or a thicker metal plate.)

So when you have that measurement, it simply can't be any of the other engines listed with different bolt circles. That doesn't mean for sure that it was a Wright A, but it makes it much more probable. When you couple that with the left hand thread, it probably narrows it down even further, but I just don't know what aircraft might fit that description.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckpee View Post
      My closeup vision must be improving. .../...
      I think I can read " 8 ? 4 PITCH 8 ? ? " on your unk-9.jpg pic. If you not fire the flash and use low-angled light all markings could be read. You also can use chalk powder to "fill" the markings making them easier to decipher...

Regards,
      PM

Comment

Thanks for the hub variance info, Dave. That had me confused.
        PM: Will try harder for better pics. Tried the only white powder we have (tartar) but it didn't work. Will keep trying low light/no flash too.

Comment

Working...
        X