Prop Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Identification

Acquired this, somewhere over the years. Unfortunately, someone had cut it at the hub.

Just trying to ID and value. No manufacturer ID on it but has the following:
    ENG R-755-9
    HP 225 RPM 2000
    A.T. 17
    DWG Number 43K13605
    Serial Number 13042

Any help appreciated...based on the drawing number...maybe a Hartzell?20161128_162000.jpg

20161128_163426.jpg

The drawing number reflects a 1943 military contract, so it was built then or some time afterwards. It could have been manufactured by one of several companies and without decals will probably be hard to know which one.

It was made for use on a AT17 ("Bobcat") with Jacobs engine. You can trace the 43K number to a Sensenich prop and then look that up here.

It's a very common prop both in the U.S. and Canada as there were various versions of that aircraft. A large number of propellers were manufactured before a metal version was introduced, which explains the high volume of surplus props that are still around.

I wouldn't place much value on it due to its commonality and also due to its having been cut in half, and no decals remaining. I don't think that the red paint on the metal sheathing was original, either.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Prop ID

I have a part of a prop, DH5220/P/25

D6'4" P4'

GypsyMajorLH

Is there any way I can match these numbers and find a photo of the plane it belongs to ?

Comment

Originally posted by pikebob View Post

Is there any way I can match these numbers and find a photo of the plane it belongs to ?
          The short answer is "No". The only exception to that is if you happened to stumble across the logbook of a specific airplane that used it and a logbook entry included the serial number of the propeller. Occasionally, other documentation will surface but IMHO that is extremely rare and often false.

Otherwise, it's almost like finding a tire and trying to find the car it was used on. Propellers were similar in many respects.

Comment

thanks so much for saving me loads of effort,however I would like to mount the prop and put a picture of the plane next to it, from what I can gather these were used on tiger moths so I think it might be good to put a tiger moth picture on the mount with the part prop that I have, What do you recon

Comment

Yes, it's certainly most likely that it was used on a Tiger Moth, although if you look up the number on this chart you'll see that the same design number could apply to the "Auster III", which is probably considerably less likely but still possible. (Only 470 Auster III aircraft were built, vs. nearly 9000 Tiger Moths.) Still, there's nothing wrong with tagging it as a "Tiger Moth propeller".

My point earlier was that linking the prop to a specific unique aircraft (i.e. by registration number, rather than make and model) is nearly impossible.

Comment

Working...
              X