Wwii prop??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wwii prop??

Hi, hoping someone can help me. I have a 1941 wooden Kinner B5 prop that is 92" long with initials L.L on it. Any idea how it was used and what value it may have? I was offered some money by an auctioneer but he seemed less than honest. Thanks for any input about it's history and/or potential value.

We would need more information. There are literally thousands of different models of wooden propellers and many different manufacturers. Plus, any valuation would depend greatly on its actual condition, which would require good photos at a minimum.

If it's a certificated propeller it should have additional information stamped on it.

Comment

ok, it has dia 92", pit 60.3", Kinner B5, 1941 on one side of the boss. L.L APR. 1941 on the other with 3 circular symbols (faded). 2 other initials I can't quite be sure of but maybe R.S. all on other side of boss.
      R.10.47 and DES. 1242 I beside boss.
      SER.1346 on other front area beside boss with 3 circles containing what looks like a 6-sided star (faded, hard to tell)
      prop looks to be original condition

Comment

If you can get photos of the faded symbols that might help. Those numbers don't seem to match any of the listings I have. Sometimes it's not even possible to identify some props.

Are there decals anywhere, or just stamped information?

Right now I'd say the list of possible aircraft includes all of the ones listed on this page.

Comment

The letters LL may indicate the WW2 prop-maker Laidlaw Lumber Co Ltd of Toronto in Canada.

BobG
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Wwii prop???

Thanks for your help. Here are some pics. I hope this can further narrow it down. Thanks very much!
            Attached Files

Comment

There are some facts here from which we can draw some tentative conclusions.

Kinner made light aircraft between the wars but his mainstay became the rugged and reliable five cylinder radial engine used widely from 1930 onwards.

The engine was particularly used by the Royal Canadian Air Force during WW2 in their training aircraft, the Fleet Finch.

The markings on your prop include LL which is the trademark of the Canadian propeller manufacturer, Laidlaw Lumber.

With kind regards,

BobG
              Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-13-2020, 07:14 AM.
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I think Bob's correct that this was manufactured by Laidlaw Lumber, and the decals have been removed in a past "restoration" attempt. I don't know what the auctioneer was suggesting, but I suspect it's true market value is under $400 and would expect an auctioneer to offer around half that price.

A good source to establish value is to follow similar props on eBay, see how long they have been listed and look at "completed listings" to see posted sale prices. Keep in mind that this propeller is not in original condition, can't be tied to a specific airplane, and was manufactured well after WW1.

Comment

wwII PROP???

Thank you both for your expertise and knowledge. The auctioneer offered $250 Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by TDRIVE View Post
                    Thank you both for your expertise and knowledge. The auctioneer offered $250 Canadian.
                    So I wouldn't consider the auctioneer "less than honest". He just wanted to make a little profit without a large risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X