A mystery of history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery of history

Our museum, the Northwest Airlines History Center, has a mystery wooden propeller in our collection. We need your knowledge to help id it.
    We have a Fahlin, 102"L, 8-bolt pattern, metal tipped & edged wood prop. The little information that came with it says it from a 1937 Howard. The mfg data on one blade gives the following specs:
    FAHLIN. D-400
    NO.3442 H.P.100
    R.P.M.1400
    ATC-135

What we've been able to learn is that Benny Howard used only one 100HP rated engine, a Curtiss Wright Gipsey, and it swung a wooden prop. He used this combination in his DGA-3 "Pete".
    Coincidentally, Northwest Airways was a WACO distributor between 1926-early 1930s. They both sold them, and used WACO-10GXEs for flying lessons. The GXEs were powered by OX-5 & OXX-6 90-100HP engines.
    What does the #3442 and the ATC number indicate? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have attached 4 photos to help id the propeller. Thanks.

Bruce
    Attached Files

Did you see this reply to your earlier post?

I think the fact that there were many different aircraft for which that model number was approved makes it something of a stretch to assign it to the Howard aircraft.

I also think the 3442 is just a serial number, as almost all props had one stamped on them, and none of the other stamped numbers would logically be a serial number.

Comment

Working...
    X