looking for an id on my granpas propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for an id on my granpas propellor

Hi clever people..I have an 8ft wooden ww2 prop left by my Grandad who isnt here to tell me its story..It looks like mahogony/rosewood with brass on the side with lots of rivetts.No markings that I can see. It has 4 holes at the base with lines along it..sorry its not much. Im searching as Id like to make plans to donate it to the right people, on my passing..any ideas?
    Attached Files

It's very unlikely (and, frankly, probably impossible) that you can identify it without stamped identification data.
    Dave

Comment

update..we have markings

Well I went back and foundmarkings..on one side is rg no(and is cut off by the base)under that is Jupt (cut off also).Then numbers 1010 and 6? and 6 and 29..see attached photos..thanksdoes this help? jen:
      Attached Files

Comment

hi there sent new photos of the markings..hope you can help

Comment

This is a prop cut in half is it not? Is the half 8 ft or is the half 4 ft? I can't tell for certain by the picture.

Lamar

Comment

Correct its half the propellor, stands over 8ft (my half)

Comment

found the quick reply bit..half a prop standing 8ft 4/5 as is..markings also cut in half it looks like the word Jupiter? rg no...then numbers 6 29 10 10 6

Comment

time to measure this 1/2 prop

Ok time, to jump in here, as its a bit fuzzy as to the actual length of this 1/2 prop. I have a hard time believing that this 1/2 prop is 8 ft tall, just looking at the size of the door and the size of the picture hanging on the wall, it appears to be 4 to 5 feet tall. If it was intact, it would have been over 16 feet overall. Are we still on the same page here. Do us a favor and get this out in the sunlight where we can see the entire image well lit and and take a few shots of it next to a human so we can get some proper scale. Before I make any offers or observations on this 1/2 prop, I would like to really see it in detail that shows the base as well as the full scale shot that reveals its actual size.

Sincerely,
                J. Dennis Hicklin
                Seattle Washington
                Attached Files

Comment

ok will do

...thanks will do

Comment

Jenny,

It's a British prop dating from the 1930's for an aircraft powered by a Bristol Jupiter engine. The most likely aircraft is a Westland Wapiti; less likely, a Boulton Paul Sidestrand. These aircraft had two-bladed props 3640mm in diameter, just under twelve feet.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner
                    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Bob !

Thanks Bob for the identification, as ever I am just amazed at the vast knowledge you possess of such airscrews. So I guess at this point, my question to Jenny is, what are your intentions for it, is it for sale or are you going to keep it in the family. Should it ever become available for sale, I might be interested in it. I have a soft spot for damaged props that are only half props, they make interesting elements for kinetic sculpture. Love to see some more pictures of it taken outside to get better detail and lighting on it.

Sincerely,
                      Dennis Hicklin
                      Seattle Washington.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Dennis but it is incorrect to think I have a vast knowledge. I merely have tables!

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner
                        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                        X