Twelve years !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twelve years !

I see from the data with my name and avatar (left) that I joined this forum in January 2006 which was twelve years ago. It doesn't seem to have been as long as that. When I turn my computer on in the morning this is the first place I go to. It has given me much pleasure to help identify props for people and the data I have gathered for my research has also been very useful.

With kind regards.

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Twelve years !

Bob.

I, for one, am very glad that you joined this group when you did (strangely, in the same month and year as me). I have benefitted frequently from your knowledge, a few times directly in email conversations, but mostly from your excellent books. I have them all and make reference to them often, much to the consternation of my wife. She fears that another prop will appear on a wall every time she sees me studying them.

Talking of which ..... any more books in the pipeline?

Best regards,

Tony Rogers

Comment

Bob, you have a lot of fans here who are appreciative of the effort and passion that you've put into your participation, but as the owner and administrator of this forum, I'm probably your biggest one!

I don't think many people understand the amount of footwork it often takes to come up with an answer to what seems like a simple, straightforward question. Twelve years ago, both Bob and I had been frustrated trying to answer questions through email contacts. The forum was created to (1) involve all knowledgeable people to participate in that research and (2) preserve results of those efforts in some sort of searchable database and (3) harvest technical information and photos for possible printed documents. Lesser functions have been helping with valuation questions and providing options for buying and selling propellers.

Thankfully two people in particular, Bob and pmdec (Pierre-Michel Decombeix), have stepped up to share their extensive knowledge of the subject to help accomplish goal number 1. Goal number 2 is the forum itself - there is a lot of valuable information preserved right here, hopefully available well into the future. Goal number 3 has been at least of some help in Bob's tireless efforts to collect information and illustrations for his priceless series of books on the subject - not a small undertaking by any means.

I too, can't believe it's been twelve years. Thanks, Bob! And thanks to others like Pierre-Michel who have also provided so much valuable information to members.

Comment

Tony,

Thank you for your kind words about my books.

My last book on German propellers (German Propeller Makers of WW1 Part Three) is with my printers and I expect to receive the proof copy in a few days time. It will take a few weeks for the print run to arrive and by then I will have added the book to my website from where it can be ordered. www.aeroclocks.com

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Not only 12 years but now 1500 posts

Not only 12 years but now fifteen hundred posts. But this is about half of the number Dave Bahnson, the founder of this site has written.

Dave I see that you returned your count to zero a few months back? When am I due to be recycled? As a seventy-two year old, this is increasingly important to me!

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob, there's no re-cycling, although I could probably set your post count to anything if I fooled with the software.

I'm posting here under my moderator's name (Dave) which I used for quite some time. But in response to an almost constant war with spambots I switched to my administrator name to more quickly utilize administrator privileges - those that involve banning spammers, approving members, etc. So my actual post count is what you see on the left plus about 500 or more as admin.

We are under less assault now, but over the past 6 months or so I've blocked hundreds of spam registrations. Some still get through, but we now have almost no spam on the forum, and when it shows up the post gets deleted and the poster is banned for life.

An unfortunate consequence of patrolling forum registrations is that some valid attempts at registration get blocked, although all a person has to do in that situation is hit the "Contact Us" link in the bottom right hand part of the page and I can easily activate their membership.
            Dave

Comment

See, now I'm back as "Admin".

Comment

Thank you Dave!

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                X