Curtiss JN4C - "Jenny" Paragon Propellor For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My$tery

You know Kirk, E bay has always been a daily mystery, living proof that on any given day, any given piece will sell for what ever the public will shell out for it. That being said, it will be interesting to see if you can get even half of that or a third of that for your lovely paragon half blade. Its all a crap shoot when it comes to e bay. I think most would agree with me on this element, someone had deep pockets for that piece that you found on e bay as a sold piece, go for it, list it, you might get lucky and get the big bucks for it! I shall just sit on the sidelines and see how it does. I noticed the shipping price was a bit low considering what the person paid for it, but that is a fluxuant element as well. Thanks for the post.

Sincerely,
    Dennis Hicklin
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kirk and Dennis,

About the half prop sold on eBay: IMHO, it is NOT from WW1, because if the prop was to be fitted on a BR2 engine, it is not for Nieuport 12, which used a 110HP Clerget. Even another engine was fitted to a Nieuport 12, a BR2 seems to me having too much power: 230HP for the initial engine, and 245 for a later variant.
      So... could "N 12", as read by the seller, be "Ni 2"? And therefore a marking for the Nieuport Nightjar, which was developed from the Nieuport Nighthawk (and so, the digit "2"). In this case, the prop is not from WW1 era, but from 1921-1924!
      Another clue for that: the markings "2780" and "2920" areprobably diameter and pitch. From the picture beside the lady, 2780 is the diameter (109"1/2) and 2920 (~115") the pitch. As the rotary engine could not be geared, 115" (even 109 if the data are reversed) is too a high pitch for a Nieuport 12.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_BR2 . What do you think?

And yes, Dennis, prices on eBay are very ... curious ones! But, perhaps, the buyer did want an antique sign and had nothing to do with a WW1 prop?

Regards,
      PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
        And yes, Dennis, prices on eBay are very ... curious ones! But, perhaps, the buyer did want an antique sign and had nothing to do with a WW1 prop?

Regards,
        PM
        That's my bet. He was buying a sign, not a propeller.
        Dave

Comment

My bet, too. A Google search yielded the fact that Boyer's airport was one of the very first general aviation airports established in Kentucky. I can say that memorabilia from local GA airports around me go for premium prices not likely to be realized in another state.

Lamar

Comment

cheshire grin !

Thanks PM and Dave and Lamar. Always a pleasure to see how the rest of the forum see's this. Indeed, the buyer was after it purely for the element of it being a sign and NOT a half of a prop, that is clearly evident. But all that being said, still this is a great forum to see such dialog from all over the globe on vintage " airscrews ". Many thanks to all that have participated. Kirk, the offer still stands, you can get a quick $200.00 from me for your paragon half blade, and I will pay the full cost of shipping.

Sincerely,
            Dennis Hicklin
            Seattle Washington

Comment

Sold!

Sold it to a very happy buyer as a Christmas gift for a loved one. Great price and going to a new home where it's greatly appreciated for its form and its history. Super result!

Comment

A happy ending!

So Kirk, indeed, the half blade got sold, congratulations! I am curious what the final price was including the shipping, so that I can use this information purely as a reference when it comes to this type of sale on this type of half blade. Last time we corresponded, you were firm on your price of $400.00 and it was up in the air as to who would bear the full cost of shipping. Again, that was an elegant piece of wood, I am glad it went to a person that could appreciate it.

Sincerely,
                Dennis Hicklin
                Seattle Washington.
                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting discussion and I for one appreciate the candor of all parties. Some of us cannot afford a multi-thousand dollar price tag, so single blades or even hubs are often the only way to own and enjoy such a beautiful piece of aviation history.

This blade was slightly outside my scope of historical interest but otherwise I would have offered $300-$350 plus shared shipping for it, and been very happy with the deal. I am glad it will go to an appreciative home.

Comment

comparison wood versus metal

As you can see, this forum is a magnificent arena of conversation and exchange of view points on what items are worth, or thier percieved value. I offer up this picture to show how fluxuent prices can be for items of this nature.

Enclosed is a picture of a hamilton standard prop blade from a three bladed prop that was off of possibly a DC 3, but that isnt issue here, the price for it is listed at $280.00, with haggling, I now have the owner down to $230.00, which is more than fair. Granted, its not wood, nor is it rare, its just a great piece that is in good shape even though its a condemmed piece that isnt airworthy.

In the same consignment house where this lives currently, in another show case is a metal prop blade that isnt from a tripple bladed prop, it isnt polished, its in bad shape, it has a hole drilled mid way through the blade with a paltry clock in it, and clearly, a poorly made decal mounted the wrong way on it, original price was at $1000.00 marked down to $750.00, and its been in that case for over a year now.

I am glad that kirk sold his half blade to a very happy buyer, regardless of the price he got for it. That being said, in this arena of new material surfacing daily around the globe, once again, these pieces are worth what ever one is willing to shell out on it on any given day, literally a roll of the dice.

To me, that is the fun and the challenge of sites like this one, that give us all a great way to participate as either viewers, or buyer and sellers, or just friendly input to various questions posed by the masses.

The fun continues.

Sincerely,
                    Dennis Hicklin
                    Seattle Washington
                    Attached Files

Comment

Full disclosure..

I got $600 cash. The buyer gave it to her partner as a Christmas gift.

Comment

amazing!!!! $$$$$

Bravo Kirk, indeed it brought a lot more than anyone would have imagined. As stated before, it all depends on the seller and the buyer, so it still makes sense that any particular thing for sale is worth what ever a particular person will pay for it, that particular day. Auction houses have proven this over and over for hundreds of years. As well as pawn shops too!

That being said, I am still amazed at the variety of rare and not so rare wooden "airscrews " that surfaces on this site daily, thanks to Dave for keeping this great website going. And thanks to all worldwide who contribute a wealth of information and photos.

Sincerely,
                        Dennis Hicklin
                        Seattle Washington
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X