Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of a Heine prop

Hi,

I found a Heine prop and would like to know more about it. You guys have any idea what prop this is and what it's worth? You can also send me a message if you would like to buy it

Specs I found:
    450 PS
    N LYON
    D 280
    H 320
    HEINE

Some pictures:

Last edited by Dave; 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM.

How long is it from tip to tip?

Are there holes drilled in one side of the hub?

Despite the spelling, I'm wondering if it was intended for the 450 horsepower Napier Lion engine.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      How long is it from tip to tip?

Are there holes drilled in one side of the hub?

Despite the spelling, I'm wondering if it was intended for the 450 horsepower Napier Lion engine.
      Length from tip to tip, hmm, good question. My guess is 220cm, I will check that though . .

There are holes drilled in the other side, lots of them. Forgot to take a photo of that side

Comment

Hallo Tim,

Your thread is probably in the wrong category, although I admit it is borderline!

Your prop is not really modern. The Napier Lion engine of 450 hp was made by the British from 1917 to 1919. It was capable of considerable evolution and by 1930 in supercharged form it was producing 1350 hp, although in short-life racing engine form.

Heine was a German firm in Berlin who read the terms of the Versailles treaty and quickly turned to making props for the civilian market. Germany couldn't make military props until 1925 or 1926.

The serial number suggests the prop was made around 1920-23. It was for a civilian aircraft. The diameter is 280cm and the pitch is 320cm.

Sadly there is not much of a market in props from the inter-war years. I think it is worth at most 580 Euros, about $800.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
          Hallo Tim,

Your thread is probably in the wrong category, although I admit it is borderline. But your prop is not really modern. The Napier Lion engine of 450 hp was made by the British from 1917 to 1919. It was capable of considerable evolution and by 1930 in supercharged form it was producing 1350 hp, although in short-life racing engine form.

Heine was a German firm in Berlin who read the terms of the Versailles treaty and quickly turned to making props for the civilian market. Germany couldn't make military props until 1925 or 1926.

The serial number suggests the prop was made around 1920-23. It was for a civilian aircraft. The diameter is 280cm and the pitch is 320cm.

Sadly there is not much of a market in props from the inter-war years. I think it is worth at most 580 Euros, about $800.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Thank you very much for your reply, it's nice to read what propeller it is and when it was made!

Comment

Hi Tim,

I can see that one side of the hub is blank; no bolt holes drilled. What about the other side? Are there four holes there which only penetrate about 5cm into the wood? After WW1, Heine made several types of prop with a quick release coupling called a Rupp fastener. Instead of eight or more bolts, there were no bolts, except for the large one on the end of the crankshaft. The prop slid onto four studs and one large bolt held it on. Hence Dave's question. Can you take a photograph for us?

The spelling of Lion is typical of Heine. I suspect that the man who stamped the data on the hubs was semi-literate. He made lots of errors. He never mastered the letter N which he often stamped upside down.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Pictures of the other side (no holes, my bad )

Comment

It's been cut out for a clock, which reduces its already low value. It also looks on some of the photographs that it has been shortened. It should 280cm long. Is it?
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  It's been cut out for a clock, which reduces its already low value. It also looks on some of the photographs that it has been shortened. It should 280cm long. Is it?
                  Yes, 280cm long

Comment

Good Morning Tim,

Thank you for the additional photographs.

I have seen several Heine props which are not drilled in any way. They all date from late WW1 or the 1920's. I suspect that they might have been delivered to customers this way to be prepared for Rupp fasteners. I think it likely that Rupp fasteners were made by the Rupp company in a range of sizes.

Although Heine props from the 1920's are not particularly collectable, yours is nonetheless a valuable artefact from that time, in academic terms. Also the wood used is both of high quality and beautiful. Please make sure it goes to a good home. As you are in the Netherlands you might wish to research the KLM airline and its predecessors to see if they operated an aircraft in the 1920's with the Napier Lion engine.

Probably eBay is the best way to sell it. As well as the English language eBay, you might consider putting it on eBay.NL and on ebay.DE in German.

If you discover what aircraft it might have come from, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Dears Sirs,

Writing a book about Fokker fighters from 1919-1929 I discovered this forum. Nice forum, nice propeller. It's bought by the Fokker company and registrated in the Fokker financial papers. On the list of December 31th, 1926and 1927 this prop is mentioned, in 1930 it's gone. It looks like that this prop never is used but is sold for a very low price (in 1927 it's wordth is mentioned nothing) or is dumped. But, a nice prop, bought by Fokker in mid 1923.

Kind regards,
                      Jan Grisnich

Comment

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

Feel free to let us know more about your book. I'm sure several of the members here would be very interested.
                        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this little invitation!
                          I'd like historic aviation from the time I was a child, and from that time onwards I collect many information about planes. After a time I discover a gap in the written Dutch aviation history from 1919-1929. In that period we had the plane manufacturer Fokker, who was leading expert in the development of fast fighters at that period. Complex technical details, various problems, due to poor interest of the Dutch government, but, the main reason to write a book about that period, never be written down. That leds to the coming publication about Fokker fighters D.IX until D.XIV. One part of that story is the story of propellers, which I was recovering for a week ago and discovered this propeller. I had earlier known about this prop, and I remember this number (I don't know why).So thats a short introduction, feel free to ask for details!

Maybe I can make a list of known Heine and Astra propellers for 450hp Napier Lion II and IIa and 300pk Hispano HS-42 8Fb?

Kind regards,
                          Jan Grisnich

Comment

Working...
                          X