• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Antique Stinson L 5 Wooden Propeller

Beautiful Antique Stinson L 5 Wooden Propeller

http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/2116441751.html

"The Flying Jeep", great decorative conversation piece

This is a highly sentimental object for me and I'll tell you why...

My Grandmother who was a WWII W.A.S.P (Women Air Service Pilot) kept this from her training days in the early 40's. My whole family on my mothers’ side are pilots and she left this prop to me after she passed 14 years ago.

Why am I selling it? I would like to be able to stay in my home!

I have 3 children and my wife and I both work full time, however it is just not enough to remain current on the bills and I would like to see if I could get enough for this to pay off some bills and get back on track.

I will also take any donations to my cause if feel so inclined to help and help me continue to display this propeller in my own house with pride and honor. Email me and I’ll send you a link o my PayPal site for a donation.

Letter from the Sensenich Prop Company:

“Then I would guess 1942 as the most likely year of manufacture, perhaps a little later than that. If you assume that Sensenich accounts for the letter/number serial numbers from 1942 onwards, then it seems likely to me that this one was one of the last made before that accounting. By their own statement, props with serial numbers not accounted for on the web site list were manufactured between 1932 and 1942, and if you look at the history of the L5 (http://www.geocities.com/akdhc2pilot/history.html), then 1942 seems like the best subset of years that are common to both.

If you could find when they went to the Lycoming engine, you might be able to narrow it down a little further, at least with respect to the earliest likely year.

Either way I think it's fair to assume that it was made in the "early forties".

The markings on it are as follows:

MODEL 8JIY-57
    SER 80799
    HP 185
    RPM 2550
    SENSENICH
Working...
X