History of my dad's propeller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of my dad's propeller.

Sensenich Bros. wooded propeller, Model #720-42,Serial # B0096 or # 80096, HP 65, RPM 2350 with Lititz. PA stickers. My dad served in the US Air Force, 1951-55, at Norton Air Force Base, CA, Travis AFB, CA, and a year in Iceland. At some point he acquired this propeller, he passed 3 years ago, I'm wanting to give it to a nephew, who is in commercial pilot school. I would like to give him as much information as I can about the prop. Was it used by the Military and when? The ends of the prop have some damage, I'm sure that's why he was allowed to bring it home. It's in pretty good condition, except for the tips.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It's probably 72 C 42, a very common model used on a variety of aircraft.

Post a photo if you can, but leave the tips alone. Whatever happened to it is part of its history and worth keeping, probably worth more than the prop itself.

Comment

Requesting additional info

The Model #, does contain a "C". The Serial # is B0096. Is there any way to track the plane that it would have been on, or at least to know for sure it was a Military aircraft? At what approx. year it could have went into use? I would just like to be able to give as much information and history when I gift it to my nephew.

Thanks on the advise, not to repair the tips of the prop.

Thank you to any and all, who have information to share on this propeller.
      72C-42, B0096.

Comment

It would be extremely unlikely to be able to know which actual plane it was used on. You would need to stumble across a logbook containing an entry which matched yours.

It was likely manufactured in 1942 or possibly 1941 if the first character in the serial number is "B". If it's an "8" it might have been manufactured prior to 1942. See this list. It's more likely a civilian prop, as most props built under military contracts during that period would have a "42k" prefix in their serial number.

As you'll find on this list, there are quite a few different models of aircraft for which it was designed.

Comment

Thanks, for the information. I printed the 2 listed you provided in your reply. Since it's almost certain that is not Military, I have no idea where he acquired it. He finished his Military Service in Spring of '55. I was born in February '55 at Norton Air Force Base. I can remember the propeller stored in our garage (Kansas) in the early 60's. I ask about it, but if he told me I don't recall. I do know he always wanted to mount a clock face in the hub and hang on the wall. It made 4 house moves with the family over the years. It will make another move at Christmas, when it goes home with my nephew. He will finish Commercial Pilot School in the Spring.

Again thank you for sharing the information on the prop.

I'm including copies of these posts, and the printed lists as part of his gift along with the prop.

Comment

Interesting.. I have my father's propeller off of his Taylorcraft.. Model 720k42M, ser# K7499

Comment

Working...
            X