Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 02-17-2020, 04:33 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

Phil,

I live in deepest darkest Doncaster. I used to live near Barton-upon-Humber and worked in Hull.

The Maurice Farman was a French design dating from 1913 which was widely used by the French where it equipped thirty seven squadrons, the British had six squadrons, and the Italians Twenty four.

There were two types which the British called the MF Shorthorn and the MF Longhorn.

During WW1 it was used as a recce platform and as a bomber and was still in use in 1918 when WW1 ended.

I'm sure that it will be easy to find reams of info on the internet. Type into Google the words Maurice Farman, Longhorn and Shorthorn.

With kind regards,

BobG
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #12
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi,

I don't understand why it have to be a LHP prop: the "80HP" Renault was geared, which explains the very high pitch, but the engine itself was right handed and the prop was fitted to the camshaft (look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_80_hp )

In Bob books, there are RHP and LHP IPC props for Farman (Vol 3 pages 109 to 111). Were there LH Renault?

@ Utahraptor: Is it possible to see a pic of the prop?

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Counter-rotating props were utilized in some WW1 aircraft, which can explain both left and right hand versions of the same design. Although this prop was for a single engine tractor aircraft, the same design came in a left hand version (see link in description), also stamped for the F2b with the Rolls Royce engine.

I don't know if counter-rotating props were actually put into service of if this might have involved a development/testing process with twin engined service in mind.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbahnson View Post
Counter-rotating props were utilized in some WW1 aircraft, which can explain both left and right hand versions of the same design. Although this prop was for a single engine tractor aircraft, the same design came in a left hand version (see link in description), also stamped for the F2b with the Rolls Royce engine .../...
In the example of the link, there were two design numbers: 3032 and 3033 for Left and right handed. Do you think there could be left and right handed prop of the same design with the same design number?

Regards,
PM
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdec View Post
In the example of the link, there were two design numbers: 3032 and 3033 for Left and right handed. Do you think there could be left and right handed prop of the same design with the same design number?

Regards,
PM
No, I don't think that would make sense because sooner or later someone would put the right number on an airplane without looking at the thread direction. It obviously would be discovered when it was started (but likely sooner) as the plane backed up as soon the throttle was advanced.

Using a different drawing number makes much more sense, even if it's just the next in number sequence.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
No, I don't think that would make sense because sooner or later someone would put the right number on an airplane without looking at the thread direction. It obviously would be discovered when it was started (but likely sooner) as the plane backed up as soon the throttle was advanced.

Using a different drawing number makes much more sense, even if it's just the next in number sequence.
Hi,
I think the same.
But each of those two pics shows a RHP prop:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-C5pD_XoAAmKDP.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...thorn_MF11.jpg
The Utahraptor prop seems to be stamped:
IPC
DG 2303
HP 80 REN
M FARMAN
B 24722
and the IPC 2303 in books is reported as a LHP for M Farman fitted with a 80 HP Renault...

So ... ???

Regards,
PM
Old 02-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It's a mystery to me, PM. Both of the two propellers I owned are stamped for the Bristol F2b with a Rolls Royce engine and both have the same diameter and pitch stamped on them. One is left hand and one is right hand and I know it's not a reversed photo because I had them side-by-side at one point and they were clearly opposite rotation.

How do you tell the direction of rotation in those photos? I can't see it clearly enough to know . . .
Old 02-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
.../...
How do you tell the direction of rotation in those photos? I can't see it clearly enough to know . . .
Hi, it is more an impression that a certitude, but:
- it seems that the straight edge is going to the farther side of the hub, so it is the trailing edge,
- from their shape, the 3 props visible on the pics are probably all Chauvière which had straight and aligned trailing edges and convexe leading edges. So they are clockwise rotating when viewing from the rear.

I don't think there were straight leading edge and convexe trailing edge props fitted on Farman in this era: the only props whith this shape I know about are French "Rapid" and "Ratier" propellers and:
- Rapid were no more made after 1914,
- Ratier didn't made any prop for Farman.

Look at the pic showing a Chauvière and a Ratier (exactly the same shape that Rapid): On the pic, they are rotating the same way because the Chauvière has it front side shown (it is a RHT) and the Ratier has its rear side shown (it is a LHP).

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chauvière-Ratier-Shapes.jpg (49.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by pmdec; 02-18-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Pic added

Tags
m farman propeller.