Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
.../... This prop has the dimensions and size of a prop made for the RAF 1A engine of 90hp. .../...
Hi,

If the markings of the line "RAF IA" is the engine, what could be the line above?

It seems there is no Handley Page "300". Returning to what wingnutchamp said, the 3 last letters could be GUY simply because the prop was made for GUY Factory! And "HP 300" some internal reference of this factory.
It seems compatible with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Motors
Just my two cents... And, for once, the story come with the prop, a true one!

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1258_GUY.jpg (30.7 KB, 4 views)
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:35 PM   #12
wingnutchamp

Thank you all for the information, it seems to be a bit of an anomaly?

My father told me he got it from Guy Motors when he was working there in the early 60s and he understood it had been used to test aero engines Guys were building during WW1.

According to the history of Guy Motors they were building ABC Wasp and Dragonfly radial engines. The Wasp was a 7 cylinder 160hp with the mark 1, and 190 hp with mark 2. The Dragonfly was a 9 cylinder and was supposed to produce 340 hp but accord to Wikipedia it didn't achieve this target and suffered from torsional resonance of the crankshaft so was very unreliable.

The Dragonfly was made as a mark 1 and an updated engine called the 1A. Could this 1A may be the marking on the hub? The 1A was built at the end of WW1 in June of 1918 so with the end of the war and the poor reliability of the Dragonfly engine was discontinued. Could this be why the propeller has no record as it was only for testing purposes and was left in the engineering workshop when the project died?

Do you know what the approximate value of it is for insurance purposes?

Thank you David
wingnutchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
Bob Gardner

David,

I think we have now uncovered all the possible details and history of your prop.
Incidentally, this prop was not used for testing engines. It is too fragile for constant changes from engine to engine. A purpose built air brake prop is used. It is of substantial construction and small diameter with large metal plates set at right angles to the direction of rotation, which places a considerable load on the engine under test. This allows each engine tested to be calibrated and faulty engines to be identified.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #14
Bob Gardner

Oh! I forgot that you asked about value. If offered for sale at auction, with its known history, as a BE2C propeller, it is likely to sell for 1500-2000 GBP. Note that after several deductions by the auctioneer for fees and professional advice, you would probably receive about 12-1400.

I'll send you a bill for my consultancy fees!

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
wingnutchamp

Thank you so much Bob, it is a beautiful made propeller and must have been at Guy Motors for some other reason than testing.

We will keep in the family as a bit of my Dads history.

Thank you again and Pierre-Michel for your knowledge and time, the check is in the mail!!

All the best, David
wingnutchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
David,

I think we have now uncovered all the possible details and history of your prop.
Incidentally, this prop was not used for testing engines. It is too fragile for constant changes from engine to engine. A purpose built air brake prop is used. It is of substantial construction and small diameter with large metal plates set at right angles to the direction of rotation, which places a considerable load on the engine under test. This allows each engine tested to be calibrated and faulty engines to be identified.

With kind regards,

Bob
Also, although it may not have been a "test club" (as Bob describes) for testing the engine it may have been either a custom made or experimental prop for that engine, in which case the design number might not appear on any list of "approved" propellers.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote