Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
Lilly6

Hi
Thanks for your prompt reply. All very interesting

I will have to wait for my husband to come home to take more photos as it is propped up in the hall at the moment & too big for me to handle on my own.

Kind Regards Lil
Lilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

PM,

I think the 80 HP Renault engine must have been normal right hand rotation. Look at this propeller for the DH1 with with 80 HP Renault. It's a left hand thread used in a pusher configuration, which you know because it was used on the DH1, a pusher.

So whatever MF aircraft her propeller was used on, since the prop is right hand thread it would seem to me that it would have to have been used in a tractor configuration. Does that make sense?

(P.S. I just looked at the DH1 prop, which is in my living room, to confirm that indeed it is left hand thread.)
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #13
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Dave,

The propeller for DH1 you linked to is a very very fine piece! Is it the very same that the one which made Vanessa Redgrave hold out her ... arms?

But, IMHO, it is a RHP! The 80HP Renault was a RH engine, but the prop was fitted to a shaft at the end of the camshaft, so the prop has to be LH for a tractor, and RH for a pusher. Your splendid prop is a pusher and it has the same geometry (central hole flared on the forward side of the prop) as the one of Lilly6.
Your prop as a faint DG 69 marking which is listed on page 111 of the Bob's book part 3. Five lines below, there is the Lilly6's DG 76.

BTW, the size and pitch of this DG 76 is strange: all the serial I know for Farman using a 80HP Renault are long (2800 to 2950 mm) and have a very high pitch (2300 to 2650 mm) because they are geared x 0.5. But the serial 76 is only 2450 long and has a pitch of only 1750mm. If it was used with the same engine, the plane could not fly with such a prop! Perhaps for "penguin*" used in schools? But how avoid engine too high rev?

Regards,
PM

*For example, see https://www.cradleofaviation.org/his...e_penguin.html
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdec View Post
Dave,

The propeller for DH1 you linked to is a very very fine piece! Is it the very same that the one which made Vanessa Redgrave hold out her ... arms?
It's identical to the propeller seen in Blow Up with Vanessa Redgrave, but it's not the exact same propeller. I looked very closely at the movie and determined that they were slightly different. If you look closely right above Vanessa's arms you'll see a notch in the blade. Mine doesn't have that.

That movie was partly responsible for my interest in collecting propellers.

Are you saying that the Renault 80 had exposed shafts at both ends that could accommodate a propeller?

P.S. Hey! I just noticed on the prop held by Vanessa Redgrave that it is a right hand pitch, not a left hand pitch like mine. Now I'm confused. I thought it was identical - until just now.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #15
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbahnson View Post
.../... Hey! I just noticed on the prop held by Vanessa Redgrave that it is a right hand pitch, not a left hand pitch like mine. Now I'm confused. I thought it was identical - until just now.
But they ARE identical. Why do you say yours is a left hand? It is exactly the same as the one in Blow Up, a right hand pitch: When you look from the rear of the plane, as it has to be done, the prop turns same way as a clock hands.

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (96.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #16
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdec View Post
Hi Dave,

But they ARE identical. Why do you say yours is a left hand? It is exactly the same as the one in Blow Up, a right hand pitch: When you look from the rear of the plane, as it has to be done, the prop turns same way as a clock hands.

Regards,
PM
Yikes! PM, I am afraid (for me) that you are absolutely correct!

I looked at my stack of propellers and saw the Chauviere propeller with a left hand thread, which I mistakenly thought was the one for the DH1. In fact it's for an Anzani engine and sits directly on top of the DH1 propeller.

I apologize for the confusion and for not paying more attention to my own photos.

So I also think that you are correct that Lilly's prop is mis-stamped as a tractor instead of a pusher.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2Chauviere.jpg (25.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #17
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbahnson View Post
.../... I looked at my stack of propellers .../...
Perhaps you have too much of them... As you make me (and many people) glad with this forum, I will accept to get you rid of some free of charge! I even will myself take them ... as soon as I can travel again

PM
Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

PM, I had too many of them, but over the years have probably sold or traded around 80 of them. I've kept most of the ones that I like the most.

There are a few hanging on walls, but this is most of what's left. Rhett Taber, who has also contacted you, is equally anxious to be in line for any give-aways.

A few years ago there were two racks there and both were stacked to the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1240.JPG (92.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi,

I am afraid our exchange seems to exclude Lilly! Please, Lilly6, post the "lateral" picture of the hub (the side without markings): I am very interested in understanding how the laminations of your prop are stacked up.

Regards,
PM