Help identifying 60HP Le Rhone prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for not seeing this reply sooner.
    Interestingly there is a sliver missing off one of the edges of this propeller. I need to have a closer look at it because maybe it's been hit by gunfire.

Comment

I've taken some more photos. The damage to the trailing edge doesn't have obvious bullet damage and it looks like someone has tried to mend it at some time. I'm not sure it's a pusher prop. Please see these photos. There is a rounded entry to the 2 1/2 inch bore on one side only. Does this mean anything?
      Attached Files

Comment

Trailing edge damage is very common, and I think it usually results from handling of the propeller when it's not mounted on the engine.

It's a little unusual to see a recessed hub on both sides of the hub, but two photos show that this is the case with yours.

The rounded edge on the center bore is the one that attaches to the hub closest to the engine. If the wrong side is attached closest to the hub, the propeller functions the in much the same way with respect to the direction of air movement as if done correctly but in that case the trailing edge by design becomes the leading edge in its action, and it would cause the propeller to easily damaged, as well as resulting in some aerodynamic inefficiency due to the differently shaped surfaces.

So on yours the rounded intrados was attached to the engine, and the Gnome engine rotates in the direction of the arrow. So as the propeller moves forward the front of it is the curved surface and the rear is the flat surface, which is the pusher configuration, as would be expected.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X