4 Blade Flat Tips NEED IDENTIFICATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Blade Flat Tips NEED IDENTIFICATION

I just recieved this propeller and I have no clue what it was used for. it is under 48" and has no markings. As you can see by the picture it has flat tips on the blade.

Can anyone tell me what kind of aircraft would have used this type of propeller or any information.

Thank You
    van
    Attached Files
    Last edited by monterey35; 05-08-2011, 02:39 AM. Reason: add photo

'Morning Van and welcome to the forum.

From a British perspective, I don't know what it is either but similar looking props were used as test props during WW1 when newly built engines were run on test. Also, during WW2, similar looking props were used on British target tug aircraft to generate the power for the winch which let out and hauled in up to a mile of cable fastened to the target drogue, except that they didn't have metal sheathing.

American props of this size with square tips were used on air-boats and probably needed the sheathing for protection against FOD thrown up by the spray. Leaves, twigs, grass, frogs and alligators! Dave or Lemar will give better advice on this, later today I expect.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I would guess that an airboat is the most likely use. Broad blades, flat pitch, short diameter, and squared ends are typical of that application.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X