S & S Aircraft Limited Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S & S Aircraft Limited Propeller

I have a 90" wooden propeller, ser.G2446, with other markings SS-SS150.E., it has 8 screw holes in the middle and is 6.5 inches thick in the middle. Can you tell me where I can find out more about the S&S Aircraft Limited, Winnepeg. I would like to know when this propeller was built, for what and how long this company was in business. Thank you

There's not much known about S&S, surprisingly, as they produced a huge number of propellers during WW2. Most of them seem to be for the Avro Anson, although I'd have to do a little searching for confirmation of that.

EDIT:

See this post.
    Dave

Comment

interested in S&S

Welcome to the forum, as an owner of an S&S prop, I would be interested in seeing some detailed photos of your prop. Just a tip for you, when you take them outside in good daylight conditions, it does a better job than with indoor flash photography. The modern digital cameras today are easier to get higher detailed shots than with the older technology.

Thanks for posting.

Dennis Hicklin
      Seattle Washington

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will pursue Avro Anson to see what else I can find!

Comment

Thanks Dennis...I will try to post a couple of photo's and would appreciate any comments you may have on the prop.

Comment

There were a lot of variations of the basic Avron Anson, including I believe, the American Version including the "Bamboo Bomber" and its variants.

The reason there are so many surplus propellers around is that they were produced in huge numbers and quickly became obsolete with the introduction of metal variable pitch propellers for that engine, which were far more efficienct and durable.
            Dave

Comment

s&s aircraft...

Originally posted by Pat View Post
              I have a 90" wooden propeller, ser.G2446, with other markings SS-SS150.E., it has 8 screw holes in the middle and is 6.5 inches thick in the middle. Can you tell me where I can find out more about the S&S Aircraft Limited, Winnepeg. I would like to know when this propeller was built, for what and how long this company was in business. Thank you
              i've posted a few replies tonight about my connection to s&s....and the illustrated factory procedure notebook i inherited from my grandfather....i guess i should start posting some of those pictures!...and offering some details on what i know...will do that soon!

Comment

Working...
              X