Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Me Identify: U.S. Propellers Inc. Prop

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would love assistance identifying a U.S. Propellers Inc. prop I am considering purchasing. Seller says he purchased it from a WWII/Korean War vet who took it off of his plane when he came home. The seller does not have the vet's name or contact info, so I was unable to look up his service record.

The propeller is 6ft in length and has US Propellers Inc. Los Angeles California stamped in two places. The tips of the blades are painted black.

DES 672652
    SER 3294
    RPM 2300
    HP 65
    TC 752

Thank you!!
    Last edited by saltstorm5; 05-03-2020, 01:13 PM.

There are many on this forum more knowledgeable than me but I see clues in the relatively small diameter of the prop and the marking HP 65, which most likely refers to the power of the engine it was fitted to.

If the story you have been given about the history of the prop is correct (emphasis on “if”), the only military application that I can think of for this propellor would be if it was fitted to a Piper L-4 (military version of J-3 Cub).

Comment

Yes, it's clearly for a 65 HP engine, likely a trainer, but that doesn't narrow it down much as there were quite a few (e.g. 10 or 15) planes that used it. The design number is not consistent with U.S. Propellers nomenclature, but the Type Certificate (TC 752) is listed on their data page, which I've attached.

Is the design number clearly readable? If you can convince yourself that "DES 672652" might be "C72 A52" that would be consistent with a 72 inch length and a 52 inch pitch. Look through the attached list for all props with TC 752 and see if it might match something resembling those numbers. Be sure to measure the prop accurately from tip to tip.

Photos would be helpful.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
        Yes, it's clearly for a 65 HP engine, likely a trainer, but that doesn't narrow it down much as there were quite a few (e.g. 10 or 15) planes that used it. The design number is not consistent with U.S. Propellers nomenclature, but the Type Certificate (TC 752) is listed on their data page, which I've attached.

Is the design number clearly readable? If you can convince yourself that "DES 672652" might be "C72 A52" that would be consistent with a 72 inch length and a 52 inch pitch. Look through the attached list for all props with TC 752 and see if it might match something resembling those numbers. Be sure to measure the prop accurately from tip to tip.

Photos would be helpful.
        Thank you so much for your help and your response!

After going back and looking at the pictures of the prop more closely I can see that I was wrong about the RPM numbers. The RPM of the prop is listed at 2200 and not 2300 as I said in my original post. Since that is the case there are only 3 models of this propeller with the Cert TC 752 as listed on the data page that you posted that this propeller could match (5626F, 5724F, 5722F).

As for measurements, I will try to get the seller to measure the prop from tip to tip and post again when he responds.

Stand by for pics. (sorry in advance for their quality)

Comment

Working...
        X