Help with Large Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Large Propeller Identification

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this amazing website.

I have a propeller I was hoping I could get some assistance with identifying.

The specs are as follows:

135.5" Diameter
    4.25" Hub Thickness
    3.75" Center Bore
    0.6" Bolt holes
    8" Bolt Circle

The text on the side of the hub appears to state:

Code:
           B
    CONTRACT # 56028-
         N20528
         SE 5161
    I would be very grateful for any help with identifiying this guy.

Thanks,

Doug

EDIT:
    Some possiblities as I have found them
    8" Bolt Circle must be for a Liberty engine but the hub is thinner than typical.
    B = Buffalo Aeroplane Corporation (Buffairo)?
    SE = Steam Engineering
    5161 = Drawing Number
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DrDoug; 05-18-2020, 01:47 PM.

It could be SE 5 161, referring to the aircraft the SE 5.

Edit, oh no it's far to long at nearly 3.5 metres!

Comment

That's the thing that's getting me. It's a huge prop but has a thin hub. Strange combination.

EDIT: The more I research, I'm leaning toward it being from a Curtiss H-16.
      Last edited by DrDoug; 05-18-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

The thin hub may indicate that it was stacked with another propeller to make a four-blade combination, or the hub dimensions that match the Liberty engine may just be coincidentally matching another engine. The center bore dimension is larger than for a Liberty engine hub, so I'm thinking it's probably another engine altogether.

I don't have any listings that match the SE 5161 number, nor do I know where you'd ever find that info, but I agree that it's probably a Steam Engineering number.

The large size and the gray paint might be associated with a dirigible application. The Navy did experiment with various lighter than air aircraft in the early teens.

Comment

I finally figured it out. It is from an F5L seaplane, which is based on the Curtiss H-12 from 1918 - 1928.

I found reference to the model number SE-5161 in a copy of "TECHNICAL NOTES, NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE FOR AERONATICS. F-5-L BOAT SEAPLANE, COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE WITH DIRECT DRIVE AND GEARED ENGINES." at Google Books.

It was mounted to a Libety 12 engine with a gear drive. The pitch is 10.0 feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felixstowe_F5L
          Last edited by DrDoug; 08-09-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Info.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X