Help w/ Jamestown Mantel Co. Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ Jamestown Mantel Co. Propeller

I have a salesman sample propeller (25 inches in diameter) built by the Jamestown Mantel Co. (owned by Caflisch Bros. Co.) I believe this propeller was called the Falcon or that was the name of their propellers? Jamestown Mantel co. played an important part in American history in the first quarter of the 20th century. They kept a million board foot of mahogany on hand and the Navy used their propellers to complete the first trans-Atlantic air crossing in 1919. This was the first time man navigated flight outside the sight of land.

I cannot find any a single Jamestown mantel company propeller on the web and cannot find any information on them. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of them or can offer any insight. I would like to learn more about them and potentially sell it to someone who truly appreciates it.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jason Wolfe
    Attached Files

I think they manufactured propellers under the "Falcon Propeller" trade name.

See this link. I may have some other references to the company, but only as Falcon, not Falcon Mantel.

Lots of furniture, piano, and other manufacturers with lumber and tooling quickly entered into the propeller making business in the late teens. My understanding is that many of the props were made for the Curtiss Aircraft Company.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

Yes that is definitely the exact same logo. And looks to be the exact same form of the salesman sample I have. The sample even has the fabric wrapped tips! I wonder if I can submit my information about the manufacturer to update the page or if thats of no interest?

Comment

Originally posted by americanwolfe View Post
        Yes that is definitely the exact same logo. And looks to be the exact same form of the salesman sample I have. The sample even has the fabric wrapped tips! I wonder if I can submit my information about the manufacturer to update the page or if thats of no interest?
        Please do. Just post it here and I can add things to the page.

Comment

Falcon Brand Name

I made two posts in June 2016 about the Falcon propeller and Jamestown Mantle company, whose owners obtained the copy write for Falcon branding for their hand carved propellers under a sub company name or division not know. Navy contracts were not found that would have shown this name. The company had grown very large a few years for the WWI Navy contract when receiving a large order from Edison for victrola cabinets, so they were ideal for a fast production of war propellers. The propeller is attached with a mating opposite hand propeller to the Liberty Engine on the Curtiss HS-2L seaplane, making a four blade assembly. There is an extra dowel hole to align the two propellers together. The contract for the propellers was given shortly before the end of WWI, so most propellers probably never made it onto seaplanes. The propeller is a laminated construction with leather tips for protection from sea spray during takeoff and landing. The HS-2L was shipped to customers for their own assembly. A manual is available for the assembly. There are also vintage films archived showing the seaplane taking off and flying.

Comment

Also, Jamestown NY was the largest furniture and mantle manufacturing center in the US at the time. Since they had high capacity for carved wood products and a great wood supply available of mahogany and other hardwoods, the area was ideal for the Navy to search for a propeller manufacturer.

Comment

Here's the link to that post, although it's October, 2016, so if you think we've lost one somewhere I'll try to find it.

(Your join date was June of that year, but the first post that shows for you was later in the year.)

Either way, it's very helpful information. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Falcon Propeller

So sorry. I looked too quickly for a post date and used my sign top date. Yes, my posts were late Oct and early Nov 2016. Hope the information and copies of supporting info in the posts have been helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X