Identifying an Old Propeller – Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying an Old Propeller – Please Help

I’ve had this wood prop for years, with no luck in identifying it, or the plane it would have come off of. I tried some air museums but didn’t get anywhere. The condition is probably not original enough for a collector.

K 24 and 23606 are stamped on either side the center hole,
    no other markings.
    Length Overall – 90 inches
    Diameter @ Hub – 9 inches
    Thickness @ Hub – 6.25 inches
    Diameter of center Hole – 3.75 inches
    Bolt Holes – 8
    Wood Layers – 8
    Wood – Light Color, Close Grain
    Weight Approx. – 28.5 pounds

I found it in a second-hand store in the 1970s. Looked like it had been left out on the ground for years. It was badly weathered with the glue-joints splitting. There was some yellow paint left on the tips. Looks like fabric had once covered the last 10 or 12 inches from the tips. I’ve preserved the one small patch of fabric that was left on it.

It came from in/near the old Naval Air Station Olathe, located in Gardner, Kansas; sometime after the base was decommissioned & closed.

The airport opened on October 1, 1942 and was referred locally as the Gardner, Kansas Navy Base. It was used by the Naval Air Transport Service (NATS) and Naval Air Primary Training Command (NAPTC). After World War II, NAS Olathe was used by the Naval Air Reserve and Marine Air Reserve. From 1950 to 1955, the Air Force Reserve’s 442 Troop Carrier Wing was based there. The air station was decommissioned in 1969 and closed in 1970. It was acquired by Johnson County in 1973 and renamed Johnson County Industrial Airport. The name was changed to New Century AirCenter In September, 1994.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Files
Working...
X