Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
chuckpee

Good info about the sheathing. Thanks again, Bob. I looked it over again after reading your email and cannot find any markings. Bummer. Sadly, my father-in-law, to whom many of these propellers belonged to, has long passed so any potential knowledge about its history is gone.
chuckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
chuckpee

My closeup vision must be improving. I recently noticed the remnants of letters and numbers on the outside edge of the indented side hub of this unknown propeller. Most of it is barely discernible and unreadable, and the light has to be just right to even see them, which is why I missed them earlier. I took some more pictures (below).

Best I can tell is (left to right) a 1 or 4, unreadable, then O H then 8, but mostly just partial numbers. From your photo gallery, it looks similar to one used on a DeHavilland DH-4, but I believe this is a pusher so wouldn't that disqualify the DH-4?. Here again are some approximate specs:

102" long
8 Bolt holes 1/2" diameter
Bolt circle center-to-center is 6 5/8"
Hub diameter (total) is 8 3/4" (7 7/8" indented one side)
Hub thickness 6 3/8" (indented portion 6" thick)
Center hole 3 5/16".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unk-8.jpg (59.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg unk-9.jpg (62.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg unk-10.jpg (76.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckpee View Post
8 Bolt holes 1/2" diameter
Bolt circle center-to-center is 6 5/8"
Hub diameter (total) is 8 3/4" (7 7/8" indented one side)
Hub thickness 6 3/8" (indented portion 6" thick)
Center hole 3 5/16".
Earlier you posted this:

Quote:
I made the following measurements: Hub thickness = 6 (indented portion) and 6 3/8 total; Hub diameter = 7 7/8 (indented portion) and 8 total; Center Bore = 3 5/16; Bolt Size = ; Bolt Circle = 6 5/8 center to center. The 8 plugs are 1 1/16 in diameter and 5 center to center.
Where are the large 8 plugs that are 5 1/4" center to center? It sounds like a description of an OX5 engine filled with cork, but the cork size is way too large.

The bolt hole circle is critical. See this page and make sure you are measuring the right thing.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
JR44
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbahnson View Post
Earlier you posted this:

Where are the large 8 plugs that are 5 1/4" center to center? It sounds like a description of an OX5 engine filled with cork, but the cork size is way too large.

The bolt hole circle is critical. See this page and make sure you are measuring the right thing.
The 'plugs' are the marks left when it was bolted to the hub.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #15
chuckpee

I earlier mis-identified the 8 "plugs" as being such, rather than indentations from a metal hub. My bad.

I re-measured with a caliper...center hole 3.137" and bolt hole diameter .470" (slight variances). Using a ruler I measured the bolt hole circle at 6 11/16" or 6.693". Looking at the chart, it appears to match a Wright A - except for the hub. Mine is 6 3/8" thick (vs. 7") and 8 7/8" wide (vs. 7 7/8").

Hope this helps....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unk-11.jpg (51.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg unk-12.jpg (52.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #16
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

There was quite a bit of variation in the hub diameter and even the hub thickness, some of it even due to wood shrinkage, but the bolt circle diameter is a fixed number dictated by the bolt placement of the metal hub, and the hub was essentially part of the engine. (I've never seen or heard of more than one size of the hub for any engine, although it's quite conceivable that a prop of less thickness could be easily fitted simply by using shorter bolts or a thicker metal plate.)

So when you have that measurement, it simply can't be any of the other engines listed with different bolt circles. That doesn't mean for sure that it was a Wright A, but it makes it much more probable. When you couple that with the left hand thread, it probably narrows it down even further, but I just don't know what aircraft might fit that description.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
My closeup vision must be improving. .../...
I think I can read " 8 ? 4 PITCH 8 ? ? " on your unk-9.jpg pic. If you not fire the flash and use low-angled light all markings could be read. You also can use chalk powder to "fill" the markings making them easier to decipher...

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
chuckpee

Thanks for the hub variance info, Dave. That had me confused.
PM: Will try harder for better pics. Tried the only white powder we have (tartar) but it didn't work. Will keep trying low light/no flash too.