Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propeller for a Skyfox

Hi everyone,

I'm at my friend Ollie Walker's house, and am trying to help him to find a suitable propellor for his Skyfox. It's an Australian designed and built aeroplane, and is powered by an Aeropower engine which develops 65 HP at 3,200 RPM.

The Skyfox was fitted with a Henry No 423 propellor, 60 x 31, which was originally a spare propellor, so we're not entirely sure if it is a suitable propellor for this aeroplane with a 65 HP Aeropower engine, or whether it is something that is "close enough". He is not sure of the specifications of the other propellor which came with the aeroplane originally.

Does anyone know what type of propellor is suitable for this application?

Thanks,

David.

I think the manufacturer is your only source of accurate information on that question. Most of our discussions here center around old display propellers.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. Ollie told me that the company produced 30 Skyfoxes and 30 Gazelles - a tricycle version, and ceased production, so it might be difficult to find the manufacturer.

My primary area of interest is WW1 aeroplanes, hence the name Garuda, so I'll be back with some WW1 aeroplane questions at some point.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Scale model propellers

I've got another question for you guys.

I'm currently building a 1:8 scale Axial propeller, and have intentions of building others. Would there be any interest here on the forum in build logs documenting the construction process? If so, where can I post photos and text of this process?

Thanks,

David.

Comment

Originally posted by Garuda View Post
          I've got another question for you guys.

I'm currently building a 1:8 scale Axial propeller, and have intentions of building others. Would there be any interest here on the forum in build logs documenting the construction process? If so, where can I post photos and text of this process?

Thanks,

David.
          David, you can just start a thread (I'd put it under "Manufacturers") and describe the process and add photos to the thread as you like. If you have specific drawings that you'd like to upload separately to the web, I can do that on woodenpropeller.com as well.

Incidentally, along those lines, I've got a small case of Garuda propeller models in various phases of construction. Unfortunately the finished model is missing, but I'll try to snap a photo of it and post it.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks for that Dave!

I was hoping that there would be some interest. I'm also building a full sized replica Garuda propeller, which was originally fitted to a Fokker D.VIII, so I might post a build log of that in the manufacturer's section too. I intend to start building about 10 or so different WW1 propellers in full scale, and will build more types as drawings and / or full sized original propellers become available for the purposes of reverse engineering.

I will be very interested to see photos of the Garuda propeller models you mentioned. What scale are they?

Regards,

David.

Comment

Here are photos of the display. The nearly finished one is about 11 inches in length.
              Attached Files
              Dave

Comment

Thanks for the photos Dave. They're great looking propellers! The Garuda I'm building is a much later model, built in late 1918, and is very similar in outline to the equivalent Axial propeller fitted to the Fokker triplane and D.VIII / E.V, so it's a very different shape to the propellers you have photographed. No doubt yours would have had the early Garuda logo with the Iron Cross. I'm building the Axial propeller slightly differently. I'm following the finished outline as accurately as possible, and leaving an extra 0.1 - 0.2 mm or so around the perimeter of each lamination, so that when sanded it will come down to the correct profile as accurately as possible. Your propellers appear to have been made using some sort of profiles or copying device. Without such aids (although I have constructed them for the full sized propellers) I am relying on the outlines of each lamination to show the required finished shape. Consequently I have to take a lot of care to ensure that each lamination is glued accurately to each other lamination. Any errors in the relative locations to each other will result in errors in the profiles.

Regards,

David.

Comment

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1335656789
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I've seen this photo posted on The Aerodrome as well. It's a very beautiful propeller. It looks like an early one. Do you know what type of engine it was fitted to?

Comment

Mercedes DIII 160ps engine from Albatros C I.

Comment

Thank you for letting me know. Are you building replicas of this propeller?

Comment

Garuda propeller

Я подробно изучил всю технологию изготовления Garuda propeller и мог бы произвести точную копию. Но сегодня у меня нет на это финансовых средств.
                          Ravill, Russia

Comment

Working...
                          X