Wooden Propeller ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Propeller ID help

I recently acquired another wooden propeller. The info stamped into it is as follows. I am pretty certain that it is a Curtiss Jenny toothpick propeller.

100" tip to tip
    SC 11478
    8-4 d-5 0 P
    OX 5

There is also a small propeller with a U S B 20 A stamped in the blades.

The decals on the propeller are long gone. Only a image of the shape remains. Can any one identify the Mfg, from the shape of the old decal?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Airplanedoc; 05-02-2020, 10:29 PM.

It may well have been manufactured for a JN4, but there's nothing I can see that clearly establishes that. It obviously was made for use on an OX5 engine, and the diameter is consistent with use on a Jenny, but the OX5 was also used on a lot of other aircraft as well.

I recognize the shape of the decal but I'll have to look through some old documents to see if I can find an intact one.

Can you include a photo of the entire propeller?

Comment

I added a couple more pics in the first post.

Thanks

Comment

It may be a Flottorp decal. That's the closest match I've found, and I've seen other props manufactured by them that were used on OX5s.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I had only come across the oval logo. Any thoughts on the 4 blade propeller stamp?

Comment

The four blade stamp is an Army inspection stamp, and three of the blades hold one of the letters "U S A". The "SC" in the serial number stands for "Signal Corps", which goes along with the four blade stamp.

Comment

Working...
            X