unknown prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown prop

please help me id this prop labels read Phoenix Propellers Grand Rapids,OX5, SC52920, PP128,D84P5, and the labels are gold with an eagle in the background please tell me all you can about it as well as what it might be worth its in good unrestored condition there are 8 mounting holes on the hub thanks David

I think the "PP" means that it is a Paragon Propeller drawing number (American Propeller Company), so it was most likely built under some licensing agreement between American Propeller Co. and Phoenix. I have seen one other Phoenix propeller, but not much is known about the company.

It was designed for use on an OX5 engine, which opens up a number of possible aircraft usages, the most common being the JN4C, but nothing on the numbers would indicate that is the actual airplane it was meant for. The "SC" number is a Signal Corps number, and doesn't have any significance with respect to its use. The other numbers indicate that it is 8'4" in length, with a pitch of 5 feet.

Those types of props have sold on eBay in the last few years for anything from $800 up to $2000, but the actual value would depend on its real condition and its design, neither of which are evident from what you've posted. A picture would help.
    Dave

Comment

DAve thanks so much for the info. Do you have any idea where I can go about researching phoenix Propellers. It sounds like it might be pretty rare if you have only come across one in the past. Any idea when it was made? regards David

Comment

I suspect it was built in the late teens or early twenties. You might be frustrated with your efforts to research the company. Several years ago I was involved in an effort by the National Air and Space Museum to research the American Propeller Company, which built some 25,000 Paragon propellers by the end of WW1. Despite the proximity of the company to Washington (Baltimore) and the volume of propellers made, we found very little historical information on the company. I've run into the same problem with other manufacturers, including Phoenix and some others. Some, like Flottorp for instance, had records that were subsequently destroyed, in their case by a fire.

I'm anxiously awaiting a possible publication at some point on the history of Hartzell, which Jim Reedy has been working on. The only company monograph I know of is "Thrusting Forward" by George Rosen about the history of Hamilton Standard.
        Dave

Comment

Dave, again thanks for all your help at least now when we hang it on our wall we will know a little something about it best wishes David P.

Comment

Working...
          X