ANY IDEA? 10FT+ Hamilton Aero Banana Wooden Airplane Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANY IDEA? 10FT+ Hamilton Aero Banana Wooden Airplane Propeller

Anyone know what this MONSTER may have gone on?

No holes in the front. 6 holes in the back that partially go through hub.

Darker color around hub appears to be from a front plate of some sort.

123-1/2 inches in length. Awesome hamilton banana decals.

More photos in my album

http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/album.php?albumid=89

Thanks
    Attached Files

I don't think there is any record of Hamilton Propellers and their applications. This one was manufactured before the merger with Standard Steel so it was made before 1929.

The hub drilling is similar to the Rupp fastener used in Germany that was developed to provide a quick propeller change, but I'm not aware of any similar design among U.S. manufacturers. (The Rupp fastener had only 4 holes in the rear of the hub, not 6.)

Most of the Hamilton props I've seen have a similar design, with the gentle scimitar configuration.

Comment

Thanks Dave - the research is always fun and rewarding! Have a great weekend!

Comment

This looks like an exciting discovery. As Dave mentions, it appears to have a hub for a Rupp fastener. Propart could you confirm that the bolt holes are tapered? If so it is the first American use of this device that I have heard of. Also, it is the first use of six bolt holes. The German and Swiss airforces used three and four bolt holes.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob,

Just did a finger test inside holes and they are indeed tapered. Now to figure out what this beast went on?????

Comment

Sopwith baby had a prop that was very similar - little over 10’ same shape - but linking two countries 1915 might be problematic for

Comment

Originally posted by rainey View Post
              Sopwith baby had a prop that was very similar - little over 10’ same shape - but linking two countries 1915 might be problematic for
              Yes. Tom Hamilton was the manager of Matthews Bros. during WW1 then moved on to form Hamilton Propellers after the War, later to merge with Standard Steel to form Hamilton Standard (1929) which is still operative now as United Technologies.

Comment

So can it be confirmed that the Matthews Bros or Hamilton Aero made propellers for NON-USA Aircraft during that time (1914-191?

Comment

Originally posted by PropArt View Post
                  So can it be confirmed that the Matthews Bros or Hamilton Aero made propellers for NON-USA Aircraft during that time (1914-1918 ) ?
                  I'm not sure you can make that conclusion. I've seen Matthews Bros props for US manufactured aircraft but don't recall seeing any for foreign aircraft. Same with Hamilton props, but I've never seen a list of Hamilton or Matthews props and don't think one even exists. And even though props may have been designated for WW1 aircraft they may have been manufactured well after the war as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X