Gibson Propeller company info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Propeller company info

I recently acquired a cool propeller. It's 6' and has a brass tag on hub that says Gibson Propeller manufactured by Gibson Propeller Co. Fort George, New York City. The tips are riveted brass that's painted white on one side and gray on back side. It looks to be made of chestnut and is in great condition. I haven't been able to find much information on the company or general value. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbie101; 03-01-2019, 05:53 PM.

Gibson was an early (pre WW1 era) manufacturer and there are no records that I can find matching their propellers to specific aircraft. Yours is quite likely an "early" prop, namely manufactured prior to WW1, which makes it fairly rare. It does look to have been refinished at some point. Gibson seems to have preferred the bronze/brass plates instead of the more common stamped information.

Once thing to note is that your prop is a left hand thread, which most often implies a pusher aircraft, which was also fairly common in the early years, vs. "tractor" which had the propeller in front and pulled the aircraft rather than push it.

See this prop from the same manufacturer. There were not many 5 bolt hole hubs used, and most of them appeared in the early 1900s and teens, but during and after WW1 most hubs had either six or eight bolt holes.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what it might be worth?

Comment

In fully original condition I think it would easily be worth several thousand dollars, but the polished tips and fresh looking finish reduce that value considerably. How much that reduces the value I'm not sure. It's still a rare propeller as propellers go.

Comment

Working...
        X