Museum items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum items

Here at the Museum we have 2 props manufactured by Courtney-Pope Ltd. Both are 4 bladed 8ft 2in in diameter and marked NR12L 8-11-19 No.3 and AB 9040 No.2LH.

Despite best efforts we have been unable to find further information on either. Neither date of manufacture or their actual use.

We also have one propeller that is 2 bladed 14ft 1in long with a 14" diameter central boss but carries no markings. We believe(?) that this came from an airship

Could anyone assist in identifying these

I was hoping Bob Gardner would drop in and be able to help with this, but I think he either missed it or doesn't have the information. I looked through my stuff (and his books) and couldn't find any reference to those specific numbers.
    Dave

Comment

I too was hoping Bob Gardner could find something to contribute! But not so far. Courtney Pope was a firm of shop fitters in London recruited in 1916 to make aircraft propellers. Know examples are for the Avro 504 and the Vickers Vimy II, both two bladed props. At the end of the war they became advertising sign makers and erectors.

The numbers 8-11-19 look like the date 8 November 1919, but it is very unlikely that the company was still making props a year after the end of the war.

8ft 2ins equates to 2500mm which was used for several engines in WW1, all but one for engines under 100hp, the exception being a 200hp Hisso in a S.P.A.D. But all were two-bladed.

AB9090 looks like a British drg no., but it's not recorded. If it is, it would be a late number, perhaps from 1919.

Where did the props come from? Why do you think the two-bladed fourteen foot prop is from an airship? Could you send close up photographs of the data and general shots of the complete props.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob

The 2 props came from the Stanton Ironworks Staveley Derbys.
        The'airship' prop is what I am being told by other members!!

Pictures of the large prop attached - I will have to photograph the others next time I am in the museum and put them up.

Regards

Namprops
        Attached Files

Comment

Where's the museum? I live in Yorkshire. Shall I come and see them?

I can't tell anything from your photo. The Shuttleworth Collection has a prop about fourteen feet long which I think came from one of the R series airships.
          British naval airships from WW1 had much smaller props of aircraft size.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

We are Newark Air Museum - just down the A1!!

I am there usually on a Tuesday or Thursday if you want to pop down - let me know if and when and I'll arrange to meet you.

Comment

Right on my doorstep! I googled NAM and tried variations such as Notts Air Museum, Northern Air Museum. How dozy of me. I drive past several times a month. I'm actually driving past in about an hour's time, going to RAF Cranwell but I won't have time to call in. I propose to come on Tuesday. What time would suit? What's your name?

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Anytime after 10am Tuesday will be great and I will let the shop people know you are coming and to tell me you have arrived

I am Colin Savill

Regards

Colin

Comment

Colin,

I plan to be with you around 1100hrs on Tuesday.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Thats great - see you tomorrow

Regards

Colin

Comment

Colin,

Can't come now, tomorrow. May I come on Thursday?

Bob
                      Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Thursday am is OK - I have an appoitment in the pm

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Namprops View Post
                          Here at the Museum we have 2 props manufactured by Courtney-Pope Ltd. Both are 4 bladed 8ft 2in in diameter and marked NR12L 8-11-19 No.3 and AB 9040 No.2LH.

Despite best efforts we have been unable to find further information on either. Neither date of manufacture or their actual use.

We also have one propeller that is 2 bladed 14ft 1in long with a 14" diameter central boss but carries no markings. We believe(?) that this came from an airship

Could anyone assist in identifying these
                          Not sure if you're still interested in an answer to this, but Courtney Pope were a furniture manufacturer based in London N15 between Harringay and South Tottenham. They set up a subsidiary company called Courtney Pope Aircraft Ltd. to manufacture aircraft parts. For this purpose I know that during WWII they used a temporarily converted premises next to the tram garage at 318A Green Lanes N4 behind the Manor House pub. I am not sure if they also used their main premises, the Amhurst Works on Eade Road N4 for this purpose too.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of their involvement in aircraft parts manufacture during WWI, but an online entry by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum suggests that they were also manufacturing during WWi.

Courtney Pope Aircraft Ltd.was liquidated in 1950.

Comment

Working...
                          X