Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sensenich indentification and restoration (new member)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensenich indentification and restoration (new member)

Hi all,

I few years back I picked up an Sensenich propeller at a yard sale. It is in a reasonable condition, however it needs some restoration. Now the time seems ripe to start a new project.

I will use the propeller for display only. I do like to do restorations the right way and since my knowledge of propellers is pretty much zero, I would like to ask a few questions.

1. After some research I found out that is it probably a propeller from an airboat (could somebody confirm this? See photo Overview)
    2. The pin or nail holes of the aluminium ends seem to be filled with metal. Does anybody know which metal? or how this is done? (Photo Aluminium end)
    3. I tried to find out what kind of propeller it is with help of the ID numbers but I could not work it out. Is there anybody able to help? (Photo identification 1 & 2)
    4. The aluminium ends are ripped at the tips (Photo tear). There seems to be some residue of the same metal used for the pin/nail holes. I believe the top part needs to be tucked beneath the bottom layer and than filled with this mysterious metal. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M-Miller; 05-12-2019, 05:24 AM.

Welcome to our forum, M-Miller!

It is almost certainly from an airboat. They appear on eBay quite often.

The metal sheathing is held in place by rivets or small screws, which are countersunk and then filled with solder and sanded to make a smooth aerodynamic finish.

Dave Bahnson, who founded this website, will interpret the data on the hub for you.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I'm not at home now but I think I have some airboat reference numbers in my files there. Sensenich used to have them listed on their web site but I think that page is gone now.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad to know it is only solder and not cast aluminium or something similar .

I labeled the attached photo's below with letters. On Photo 1 it seems that side A is tucked under side B and then filled with solder. It is hard to make out because of some bondo from an earlier restoration done by the previous owner.
        On Photo 2 it has been ripped open completely and thus also hard to see. However due to the residue of the solder it seems that it was beneath B and came loose.

What do you think is the right way to go? A under B or A over B?

Regards,

Marco
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dave!

I hope you are able to find something.
          The construction year would be great.

Marco

Comment

Originally posted by M-Miller View Post
            Thanks Dave!

I hope you are able to find something.
            The construction year would be great.

Marco
            I looked through my files and couldn't find a Sensenich Air Boat catalog. I have some from other manufacturers but just used the on-line one from Sensenich. They may have a hard copy that could be retrieved. Have you checked with them? If you find one let me know and I'll upload it to the web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
              I looked through my files and couldn't find a Sensenich Air Boat catalog. I have some from other manufacturers but just used the on-line one from Sensenich. They may have a hard copy that could be retrieved. Have you checked with them? If you find one let me know and I'll upload it to the web site.
              I contacted them a few days back. Sadly no reply yet.

Comment

Working...
              X