1942 Ryan PT-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 Ryan PT-22

Any idea the value of this prop. In average condition. Wood coming apart in one section and it has been varnished in a feeble attempt to "beautify" but other than that in good shape.

Comment

Why won't anyone respond to this?

Comment

Not many people come here, and no one really knows what they're worth anyway. The wooden propeller market is very small, and it doesn't help much if I tell you that I think it would sell for something between $200 and $900. Would it?
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          Not many people come here, and no one really knows what they're worth anyway. The wooden propeller market is very small, and it doesn't help much if I tell you that I think it would sell for something between $200 and $900. Would it?
          Sure. At least I have an idea what to ask for it. But I'm curious. Is it the condition that makes the value so small? I see quite a few on this site selling for thousands. Seems to me since the aircraft was so rare the prop would be worth a bit more. Thanks.

Comment

One of the reasons it's so hard to predict value is because the pool of buyers is limited, so there's not enough activity to establish narrow ranges of expected prices. I saw a Jacuzzi propeller sell on eBay a few years ago for $12,000. I would not have paid $1000 for it, but I suspect each of the bidders thought the other must have known it was worth that much so they just kept going.

In favor of getting a good price - it's attractive, with multicolored laminations and I presume intact fabric tips. It's not actually that rare, as propellers go, but it is identifiable with an aircraft type.

Against top dollar - it's been refinished, probably losing manufacturers decals in the process. The market for collectibles, including propellers, is way down right now with the economic crisis.

You see a lot of high prices, but those are typically asking prices. Watch them closely on eBay. You'll see that they don't actually sell at those prices then often return at a much lower one, and still don't sell sometime.

I always just suggest to people that they put them on eBay, set a reserve for the absolute lowest you would accept for it, then hope that there is some spirited bidding in the end, which does happen sometime.
            Dave

Comment

That's what I'm trying. I really appreciate it Dave.
              Originally posted by Dave View Post
              One of the reasons it's so hard to predict value is because the pool of buyers is limited, so there's not enough activity to establish narrow ranges of expected prices. I saw a Jacuzzi propeller sell on eBay a few years ago for $12,000. I would not have paid $1000 for it, but I suspect each of the bidders thought the other must have known it was worth that much so they just kept going.

In favor of getting a good price - it's attractive, with multicolored laminations and I presume intact fabric tips. It's not actually that rare, as propellers go, but it is identifiable with an aircraft type.

Against top dollar - it's been refinished, probably losing manufacturers decals in the process. The market for collectibles, including propellers, is way down right now with the economic crisis.

You see a lot of high prices, but those are typically asking prices. Watch them closely on eBay. You'll see that they don't actually sell at those prices then often return at a much lower one, and still don't sell sometime.

I always just suggest to people that they put them on eBay, set a reserve for the absolute lowest you would accept for it, then hope that there is some spirited bidding in the end, which does happen sometime.

Comment

Working...
              X