7 bolt holes in hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 bolt holes in hub

This prop is 8 1/2 ft diameter. Odd hole pattern. Not sure if it was just made for display. No identification on the hub.
    Attached Files

It's a very elegant looking prop, probably WW1 vintage and I think it has had the hub routed out to accommodate a clock or barometer, etc. Identifying information may have been routed out of the hub in the process, which is too bad.

I doubt that it was made for display, but it might have been rejected during inspection of a normal manufacturing process.

Comment

7 hols propella

[QUOTE=Fly just made for display. No identification on the hub.[/QUOTE]

Hi I have a propeller like yours it has some stamps on the hub OV N2 AB I'm trying to upload a photo greeting kim cph denmark
      Attached Files
      Last edited by larsen.kim.e; 11-07-2017, 03:22 AM.

Comment

7 hols propella

[QUOTE=Fly just made for display. No identification on the hub.[/QUOTE]

Hi I have a propeller like yours it has some stamps on the hub OV N2 AB I'm trying to upload a photo greeting kim cph denmark

Comment

Seeing two of these from entirely different sources and both having the same cut-out of the hub suggests to me that they were actually not made for actual aircraft use and more likely were manufactured as display items with the intention of having a clock mounted in the hub.

The other option is that several of them were sold as surplus to the same customer who then attempted to alter them for clock displays and never completed the project.

Comment

Hi,

@ Fly indoctrinat and marsen.kim.e: could you post clear pictures of the sides of the hub?
            Some of those props with large hole were made to fit the prop between a rotary and the aircraft structure, but all known (which is very few!) are clearly "old", not "like new" as those both props... but who know?

Regards,
            PM
            Attached Files

Comment

This isn't going to be of much help, but I have seen this sort of hub in at least two British museums. One is the Museum of Flight in Scotland at East Fortune. I think it was powered by an early Gnome engine in a pusher configuration; perhaps a MF, possibly c1913.

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
              X