Turbo propeller, ? Italian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo propeller, ? Italian

Cesare, a new member who was having computer problems has asked me to post photos of his propeller with a "Turbo" decal. The prop is 2.8 meters and may be of Italian manufacture.

Photos attached. (I can't identify it, but maybe someone else is able to help.)
    Attached Files

I can only add that the stamp turboliftschraube shows it to be German.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

propeller turbo

Many thanks to David for have post my propeller.
      I have again an question,is it of 1 WW in yours opinions?
      Thank you again!
      Cesare

Comment

All I can say at this point is that it "looks" as if it is WW1 vintage, based on the size, general geometric shape and the absence of metal sheathing, which was much more common in post war propellers.

Thanks, Bob. I didn't recognize the German "liftschraube" part, but now see it clearly stamped.

Cesare, at this point please see this page and carefully measure the hub dimensions to see if we can eliminate some engines as possibilities. Pay close attention to "C" on that page.

Comment

Dear David,
          if I have understain from the page:
          Center bore diameter misure 9cm front and 8cm retro
          Bolt hole circle diameter is 1cm

Exist propeller made in Austria of 1 WW?

Comment

No, the bolt hole circle diameter is the distance between the centers of the holes across the face of the hub, as shown by the red arrows.

Attached Files

Comment

No, the bolt hole circle diameter is the distance between the centers of the holes across the face of the hub, as shown by the red arrows.

Attached Files

Comment

From center to center?

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim42 View Post
                  From center to center?
                  If I have understain is 15,5 cm

Comment

So that diameter could be a Gnome or Clerget (or Oberusel in German aircraft) but it doesn’t identify the aircraft yet.

Comment

An observation about the decal on this prop. I doubt if the word turbo came into common parlance in Germany or England until post WW2. The word is Latin for vortex.

Turbines came into use at the beginning of the last century in England and were used in heavy industry and as engines in ships. A turbine ship's engine was designed by a chap called Parsons, to whom I'm very distantly related, who built a small ship the size of a large launch, the Turbina and fitted it with his steam turbine. At a royal review of the Royal Navy in 1894, Parsons drove his vessel along the lines of battleships and cruisers on review at about 40mph. And the Royal Navy was instantly convinced and started building destroyers with steam turbine engines.

In WW1, Britain tried supercharging aero-engines which gave only a marginal improvement. The Germans had more success with a turbo-charger where the exhaust gases powered a turbine which forced air into the carburettors. This term turbo-charger remained in use for much of the twentieth century and I believe the abbreviation turbo is modern, by which I mean post WW2.

Therefore I think your German prop must also be post-WW2. The style of the decal has an art deco influence, probably from the end of the art deco period in the 1950's and 1960's. So my conclusion is that your propeller is German (I mis-spelt Luftschrauben) and dates from the 1960's. Like many wooden German propellers from the twentieth century it is particularly elegant.

With kind regards,

Bob
                      Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi,

I can't read all the markings of the fourth pic:
                        14 -??? ?05
                        and, under and the other way:
                        ?K14??

Anybody can read all? It could add some guess.
                        About the shape of the prop and the fact it is a 4-bladed: could it be earlier than Bob said? Look also at the coast shape on the map: it could be from the era of "large" Germany (look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territ...ion_of_Germany )...

A clear close up of the decal can be useful...

Regards,
                        PM

Comment

Yes, the central area of Europe might be coloured to illustrate Grosser Deutschland. Greater Germany.

And the four bladed prop in the decal does look like one from WW1.

I have also been playing with the lettering T URB O to see if there is some sort of pun lurking there, without much success. Urb translates as city or town, as in the word urban.

We appear to be defeated?

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 03-20-2018, 08:32 AM.
                          Bob Gardner

Comment

Turbo propeller

The Turbo propellers were made in Austria. Ten bolt hubs were typical for Austro-Hungarian propellers. This particular propeller has 10 bolt holes placed equally (one diameter of bolt circle). That's typical for engines below 200 HP. Propeller hubs for bigger engines had 10 bolts placed on two circles of different diameters (5 bolts on each circle).
                            The number 2708 is serial number of propeller. Number 14 on other side is the code of Turbo producer. I received all those interesting details from Koloman Mayrhofer.

Several years ago I received pictures of Polish propeller (or rather half) made for Austro-Daimler engine with two diameter bolt circles. It was strange for me, but now it is clear.

Comment

Turbo propeller

I've got additional information from Koloman Mayrhofer concerning Turbo propeller.
                              The marking on the hub reads 14 290 that indicates Turbo propeller for Hansa Brandenburg C I airplane series 29 fitted with 200 HP Austro Daimler engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X