S&S Aircraft Propeller Winnipeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light finish S&S Avro Anson prop

Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945. It hung in my grandma's basement until we shipped it to our home in Ontario in the 1970's.

I am having a mount made by a local welder to hold it on the wall. Happy to share the plans which are pretty simple.

I have attached 3 photos that show it with a chain mount just before I moved it and the plans for the mount the welder will make for it.

Oops, I guess I posted in the wrong sub-forum. The propeller is definitely not for sale. This is the only place where I could find info on the exact propeller I have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by billboz; 04-15-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billboz View Post
      Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945. It hung in my grandma's basement until we shipped it to our home in Ontario in the 1970's.

I am having a mount made by a local welder to hold it on the wall. Happy to share the plans which are pretty simple.

I have attached 3 photos that show it with a chain mount just before I moved it and the plans for the mount the welder will make for it.
      I don't think you should sell it. If you know the family history goes back 75 years you'll never get one to replace it.

Keep it and hand it down to grandchildren or other descendants.

Comment

Really glad to have found this forum so I can learn more about a prop my father purchased at Eaton's in Winnipeg in 1945.
        This propellor is not keeping its secrets as well as some do: All the information is very clear. Manufacturer, serial number, date of manufacture, the lot.
        At risk of stating the obvious, it is for an Avro Anson Mk1 with Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engines.
        Judging by the absence of any witness marks on the hub, I would suggest that it was sold as surplus after the end of WW2, having never been fitted to an aircraft.
        What a lovely prop!

Comment

Thank you for the info regarding the engine for which this prop was designed.

You are correct that there are no marks on the mounting holes that would indicate it had ever flown.

I was going to get a mounting plate welded but in the end decided to go with just two 8" x 1/2" lag bolts mounted into the wall stud. I drilled pilot holes and used a ratchet to place the lag bolt about 2.5" into the stud and 0.5" of drywall.

I then hack-sawed the heads off the bolts which left 2 studs sticking 5" out of the wall. It was then a simple matter to slide the prop onto the studs. The studs were placed so they went into the prop at the 6 and 12 o'clock position.

Brass caps were then placed on 4" x 1/2" threaded rod and simply placed in each of the holes as a decorative touch. I had to shorten the threaded rod at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions due to the support bolts.

Here is a photo of the prop mounted on the wall. It appears to float and I am very pleased how it turned out.
          Attached Files

Comment

thank you for the info regarding the engine for which this prop was designed.

You are correct that there are no marks on the mounting holes that would indicate it had ever flown.

I was going to get a mounting plate welded but in the end decided to go with just two 8" x 1/2" lag bolts mounted into the wall stud. I drilled pilot holes and used a ratchet to place the lag bolt about 2.5" into the stud and 0.5" of drywall.

I then hack-sawed the heads off the bolts which left 2 studs sticking 5" out of the wall. It was then a simple matter to slide the prop onto the studs. The studs were placed so they went into the prop at the 6 and 12 o'clock position.

Brass caps were then placed on 4" x 1/2" threaded rod and simply placed in each of the holes as a decorative touch. I had to shorten the threaded rod at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions due to the support bolts.

Here is a photo of the prop mounted on the wall. It appears to float and i am very pleased how it turned out.
            very nice!

Comment

Hello All!

I have a S&S Aircraft Ltd propeller 68” long 5” wide.
              the stamp reads
              “S&S Aircraft Ltd
              Winnipeg, Mark iii , with 208 on one side
              it also has a gold and red sticker on it saying D. Ackland & Son Ltd Winnipeg and Calgary.

I don’t know a lot about this stuff, any help or info or possibly a place I can look this up would be helpful I really want to know the origin and what kind of plane it was on and which time period.

thanks in advance
              Daniel

Comment

Hello from Dennis in Seattle.
                I now have two of these great S&S props. The one you see on the floor of the Garage is going to be on long term permanent loan to the owner of the Garage, its going to be used as a slow turning ceiling fan in the owners loft over the Garage. The second one you see is in our front room and its going to be kept by me as a display. These are indeed, the quintessential prop worth looking for and collecting, if you desire a wooden prop that really is well made and has the look and shape and size, that a wooden prop should be, in my humble opinion, ( YMMV ) Your mileage may vary !

Dennis.

S & S prop at harwoods.JPGS&S prop #2.jpg

Comment

Hi
                  I' was looking for information on a wooden propeller that I have had in storage for a number of years and have found your website. It was manufactured by S&S Aircraft Limited in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It has the following markings on the propeller. 2 decals identifying where it was made ( Winnipeg ) as well as the number/ letters - Ser G 2924, SS-SS.150.D as well as the number 2 .
                  D - P Cheetah MK l=IX, Anson 1, Feb.1944.
                  I am interested in opinions regarding the prop as well as value.
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hey William.
                    First of all, its a lot easier to post the pictures of the S & S prop that you have rather than any of us trying to discern the condition and the potential value of it, so some clear, well lighted shots of the prop that you have will be greatly appreciated ! Bare in mind, its paramount that the shots be clear and in focus, if not, well you get my point, it then becomes an exercise in futility !

So pictures first, and then we can proceed to try to give an opinion and a " potential " value to the prop you have.

Thank you.
                    Sincerely,
                    Dennis Hicklin.

Comment

Working...
                    X