restoring a prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring a prop

I am restoring a prop and was wondering if I could get the wings logo, decal from S&S Aircraft from Winipeg?

Model ss-ss-170D
    Serial number 16820

I beleive this prop was used on D90, P80, Jacobs L6,
    and Anson 2 Aircrafts, date of manufacture 1943.

I would appreciate any info on this prop.

Regards,

Roger Lalonde

Please read this post FIRST before you begin any 'restoration' work:

http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/showthread.php?t=674

Lamar

Comment

Has it been "restored" previously? If so, what you do with it doesn't matter very much. If it's in original condition, you can't really improve on that. Reproduction decals can be custom made, obviously at a price, for almost anything. But they're definitely not "original", as S&S is long since gone.

If you want to pursue the decal path, see this link.
      Dave

Comment

S & S prop

Hello from Dennis in Seattle, and welcome to the forum.

While I am no expert on S & S props, I do own two of them that are in great shape and are not restored and they have the patina they came with.

Congratulations on your choice of prop. In my opinion, these props have the look that a vintage wooden airscrew should have, and they have the heft and weight as well. They also had great craftsmanship incorporated into them.

All that being said, consider this. What ever patina your prop has right now, is as good as it gets, true patina cant be faked to a degree that is more desirable than original or what ever found condition your prop is right now.

I know that sounds like something that is hard to swallow, but its true. As far as getting a new decal of the old S & S design, they dont exist anymore, you can spend money having them duplicated, but they never look as good as what was left on the prop the way you found it. Again, patina and history DOESNT LOOK NEW!

The S & S props are not rare, you are only going to loose value market wise if you try to restore these props.

But hey, you will hear a lot of the same from others on here that are tuned into the older props, just leave them alone, they have earned thier look from years of exposure to what ever elements they have endured.

Ok, that is my 8 cents worth. Go ahead and post some high detail shots of the S & S prop you now have, I would be curious to see its current condition.

Sincerely,
        Dennis Hicklin
        Seattle Washington
        Attached Files
        Last edited by D.Hicklin; 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X