• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sopwith Camel prop

Folks,

Thoughts on the authenticity of this prop:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-Original...item41776b41b1

I've been looking for a genuine Sopwith Camel prop for some time... But this one seems suspect to me.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Interesting. It certainly appears "accurate" even if not authentic. I'm not at home and can't look up the drawing number, but it certainly resembles other Camel shapes. The unblemished finish seems consistent with either stripping of the original varnish or else recent manufacture, and I'm not sure there's a good way to tell which.

Bottom line - I don't know if it's authentic or not.
    Dave

Comment

Hi,
      Same for me about authenticity. By the way, even if it is, this prop has lost any interest as a genuine one with varnish and fabric stripping. You can find an authentic prop in this state for around 600 euros in France. And you can probably make one for half that price ... stamp it and fake traces of use as you want
      Regards,
      PM

Comment

Outstanding Gents... Thanks so much for the help! There has to be a good Sopwith Camel prop out there somewhere! I'll keep looking...

Cheers,
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff2682 View Post
          Outstanding Gents... Thanks so much for the help! There has to be a good Sopwith Camel prop out there somewhere! I'll keep looking...

Cheers,
          Jeff
          For whatever reason, Camel props are high on the list of desirables, even though the Camel seems to have been made famous mostly by Snoopy rather than some particular attributes of the aircraft itself. And there are a number of other propellers that are equally or more "elegant" in appearance than the Camel, IMHO. I've sold a few and I have this one that I plan to keep.

Holy crap! As I look at the one on eBay it looks like they may have duplicated mine, with the possible exception that they missed the AID stamp and put "317" instead of "31T", since they look almost the same. The only other difference is that there is no serial number on the one on Ebay.

IT'S A COMPLETE FAKE! As PMDec has astutely pointed out, they can be duplicated (probably in China) very cheaply and put on the market as authentic. That explains why this one looks so pristine. The only other explaination might be that this one was manufactured and rejected prior to serial number stamping, but I think the AID stamp suggests that it's a fraud.
          Dave

Comment

Hi,

Dave's "other explanation" is not compatible with the marks supposedly made by the allegement holes in the metallic hub plate. So...

Regards,
            PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
              Hi,

Dave's "other explanation" is not compatible with the marks supposedly made by the allegement holes in the metallic hub plate. So...

Regards,
              PM
              Good point! (In other words, for it to be mounted on a metal hub, it would have also had a serial number stamped on it first.)
              Dave

Comment

You guys are awesome... Like a couple of detectives cracking a case!

Again, you've been a huge help. Thanks for saving me both money and tears that would have certainly been the result of purchasing that 'prop.'

Cheers,
                Jeff

Comment

Amazing fake !

It's only a matter of time till the industry with its amazing ability to fake anything, will make a 3 D printer that will be able to produce a complete copy of a vintage prop with all of its patina, and that will be a scary day indeed. That being said, those in the know that have a practiced eye, till that day comes, it's still pretty easy to spot the fakes, but those that make these fakes are getting better and better as the years go by, so indeed, buyer be ware and really do the research before buying such goods as advertised.

As always, a pleasure to see more and more interesting pieces of information being posted here, it always a great learning experience.

Sincerely,
                  J. Dennis Hicklin
                  Seattle Washington
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by D.Hicklin; 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X