Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden propeller identification

Hello,
    I posted a question and some pictures of an old propeller as a visitor message. I am not sure how to convert it to a thread. If you would be so kind, please review my profile page 31connie to view my question. I appreciate your help. It is a public message on my profile page. Sorry but am unfamiliar...thanks for your help. Mark

(Cut and pasted from your profile page.)

Trying to figure out what this prop once fit and maybe it's value ?
    Thanks Mark, It's overall length is 9 foot 6, hub width12 inches, hub depth is 8 1/2 inches, the inside spline size at one end is 2 1/2 and the other end is 1 3/4

Thanks for the help. Mark

Dave

Comment

No numbers?

The large hub may indicate it was used on a Liberty engine. See this page regarding hub dimensions, then go to the linked page to see if yours fits one of the listed engines.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, got this prop when I purchased a home several years ago and have always wanted to know what model plane and engine it would have been made for and what it's value might be to a collector.

There are no numbers anywhere on the prop or hub, only the ones I have shown in the pic's.

The prop is in overall good shape, does have several small chips / gouges at each end of the blades, most likely caused when moving this large thing around, it's damm big and heavy.

I will look at the hub measurement page and post the info.

The prop is in the Seattle area, Port Orchard.

Thanks again Mark

Comment

appreciation

Hey Mark. Are you interested in selling the prop, if so, get back to me, I may have an interested person that is looking for one for his shop wall.

Sincerely,
          Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Washington
          Attached Files

Comment

Dennis,

I would sell the prop, would want to know fair market value before doing so.

Thanks Mark

Comment

Mark, I don't really think there's a definable "fair market value" for most of these props, primarily because the number of sales are low and there is SO much variation in factors that go into determining value, many of which are subjective. That's especially true for one like this that appears to have most or all of the finish removed and has no identifying attributes, both of which (when present) greatly add to the value of the item. Just as you have inquired about what it went on, that's what any buyer would want to know, and absent that it fits under the description of "kind of a neat looking wooden propeller of unknown age and unknown usage", and likely will keep that description forever.

If you look on eBay you'll see all kinds of high opening bid prices from sellers that simply compare their item to one that has sold previously without taking into consideration some of the VERY important differences in attributes. Most of those get re-listed multiple times, and many never sell at all.

It's not like model trains, or shotguns, or even real estate where values can be "somewhat" accurately estimated based on comparison of a sufficient number of prior sales of similar items over time.

I mention this because I frequently hear the, "I don't want to sell it until I know what it's worth" logic, but recognize that the only true way to know is to sell it first.
              Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks again for your expertise, I do want to sell the Prop so I guess I will let the market decide it's value.

Mark

Comment

has the prop been sold yet?

Hey Mark, I was curious if the prop has been sold yet, I gave my friend the the information how to get in touch with you, but he decided to pass on it, but I dont have your phone number, so if you get time, please call me back at my cell number which is listed here on the business card.

Sincerely,
                  J. Dennis Hicklin
                  Seattle Washington
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X