Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sopwith Propeller Clerget 130

Hi,
    I am interested in finding out missing marks from a propeller that my dad has in his garage. It is clear from what we know and the research that I made that it comes from a Sopwith F1, the marks on one side show Sopwith F1 then underneath 130 HP Clerget. However, the marks are difficult to read underneath. It looks like a D and G or maybe a 6 but at the end of that I can clearly see 650.
    What puzzles me is the number 2926 by the holes on the hub. What does this number refer to?
    Also I read that the length should be 2600 mm, mine is 2585 mm exactly. I will post photos as soon as I can so anyone interested in helping me out can check details easily.

The full details of the propeller are as follow:
    Length 2585 mm
    Diameter of the hub 205 mm
    It has 8 bolt holes

The propeller is in very good condition. It is beautiful piece of history. It is a shame it is kept in the garage at the moment. If we could find this propeller a good home, we would consider selling it.

Thank you in advance for your help

Fran
    (UK)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fran; 08-22-2018, 09:00 AM. Reason: adding photos

There are not a lot of listed propeller models for the Camel using a Clerget 130 engine. Two of the more commonly seen models are AB644 and AD644, both having a design diameter of 2590 mm. While the numbers aren't fully legible on yours, the drawing begins with "AD 64..., so logically speaking it is most likely the AD644 model designed (and likely manufactured) by the "Air Department, Admiralty". (Lang also manufactured a model with a drawing number of "LP2850.) I think the "2926" is simply a serial number, that unfortunately has digits that are close to its diameter in millimeters.

It's quite conceivable that there was minor damage to one tip and the other tip shaved down a few millimeters to balance it. If you can add a photograph of the tips (seen from the end) it might shed a little light on that possibility.

I'm a collector (and owner of the web site and forum) and would be interested in providing a "good home" for it, as the Camel prop that I currently own is stamped for the Camel but not listed on reference materials. Please email me at dave at woodenpropeller.com if you'd like to further discuss details.

Comment

Many thanks!
      I will email you additional photos. I managed to take other photos of the markings, it is AD..644 (I thought it was 647 but changing the contrast/colours/luminosity of the photo, it is a 4...
      Very interesting!
      I have also a lot of photos of the tips so you can see if there has been any modification on these.
      Thanks again
      Fran

Fran

Comment

Did you all ever work out a deal? I’ve been looking for a camel prop for some time... and would be interested in this one if it’s available.

Respectfully,
        Jeff

Comment

Hi,
          Yes I still have the prop. I am getting some info on the valuation at the moment. I managed to get a little bit more of its history for the person who had it first.
          I guess we would be looking for a price between £3,000 and £5,000. This will be subject to finding out more about its provenance. (I mean history and any possible touch up).
          This is what i know so far and additional info:
          We have known this prop for the last 48 years.

Following some questions that were asked about the quality of the prop and if it had or not been already revarnished, we asked someone who is an experienced carpenter/joiner to examine the prop.

This person told us that it had been slightly varnished/polished. This must havd happened before we had it, so more than 50 years ago.
          There are some black marks on the prop which would have been caused by the removal of the original varnish and the restoration of the prop. The lack of varnish in these areas would have caused for the wood to become naturally slightly darker due to humidity. It is likely that the prop had been slightly sanded and revarnished, but as you can see on the photos, it has been kept in excellent condition.

Since my first post, I also searched for more info on its origin. The first person who aquired the prop had it since the end of the 1st war until when he gave it to our friend, member of the flying club. The prop was kept in the loft for many years before it ended up in our house as a decorative item.
          What I found out is that, during the war, our flying club was an air field where some of the RAF Squadrons had been launched. Up to 2000 people used to work on this specific site to maintain and repair WW1 planes. It is therefore highly likely that many parts of these planes were kept and left on site after the war, eventually recovered by some amateurs and plane enthusiasts. There maybe some existing archives about Saint Omer flying club history which can give you additional info of the site and it's involvement with the Sopwith planes.

Here is an interesting link:
          http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/index.php?id=255

"As the*Race to the Sea*developed the*RFC*moved forward again and on 11th September 1914 the first*RFC*aeroplane touched ground at the aerodrome of Saint Omer.Then on 8th October 1914 the Headquarters Royal Flying Corps arrived and took up residence at the aerodrome which just so happened to be next to the local racecourse. The location (in the commune of Longuenesse) may well have been fitting as a number of flying instructors considered that cavalrymen had a better feel for*the ride*of their machines. Within a few days the four squadrons had arrived and for the next four years Saint Omer was to be a central hub for the*RFC. Most squadrons only used Saint Omer as a transit camp whilst on their way to other locations, but the importance of the site grew as logistical support became its primary function."

So it is possible that the prop would have been left behind during that time... who knows...

I hope this helps.
          Fran

Comment

Working...
          X