Hartzell US Navy Dirigible Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartzell US Navy Dirigible Propeller

Greetings: I recently purchased a propeller from a man who is downsizing his collection. He collects anything and everything, this was his only prop. He told me that someone from Hartzell told him this was off of a dirigible, but he could not find his paperwork on it. I have known him for a while and I do not doubt his claim, but I would like to be sure.

The prop is 8 feet, 6 Inches. It has the following markings.

On the front or bolt side of the hub marked 1852 with two markings on both sides of 1852 that I cannot make out. I believe this is the serial number.

On the side of the hub reads (keep in mind, most, but not all markings are clear, so an N may be H, etc...):

NSP NO. 02890
    02X108
    R.H.T.
    NW.2 PLANE
    SR. NO. 1852
    OAK
    US with Anchor

1 and 2 near the hub on each blade.

A hartzell logo is on both blades. It is not the Liberty Logo.

Ideally, I would like to know exactly which aircraft this came off of. That is probably a tall order, so knowing the type or class of blimp would be good too. Also, if anyone could assist with helping me come up with a value, I would appreciate it.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the prop.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Files

Hi,
    Very interesting original state and decal!
    Please, read this thread:
    http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/showthread.php?t=674
    Its best "sentence" is: if you want to do something about the prop, keep it for tomorrow! Procrastination is one of the best care you can "do"...
    Even cut, do think it is a very good buy!
    PM

Comment

No worries there. I love this prop just the way it is.

Comment

I doubt that it's from a dirigible, as you more likely would see "Airship" stamped rather than "Plane". The saw cut that precedes "NSP" may have cut into an "I" and it may be an inspection number. Similarly, I think the saw cut out a "1" before the "O2", so that line should read "102 x 108", which is the length and the pitch in inches. That corresponds to your length measurement of 8 ft 6 inches.

I've got some other Hartzell numbers and may be able to narrow it down a little more when I get a chance.

Comment

NW2 Navy Wright Seaplane

So I called Hartzell yesterday and Alex in tech support was kind enough to do some research on this prop. He got back with me this morning and confirmed it was not off of a dirigible. Records at Hartzell show it is off of a 1923 experimental aircraft called the Navy-Wright NW2 Seaplane. It was the most powerful seaplane in the world when it was made. He even sent me an article that has a photograph of the plane with a prop on it that is painted in the same way my prop is, possibly the same prop:

https://oldmachinepress.wordpress.co...d-nw-2-racers/

In summary, the NW2 was made after the NW1 "Mystery Racer" crashed during an air race. The NW2 made several flights with a two blade prop, then it was converted to a three blade. Soon after the conversion, it also crashed and the project was abandoned.

I am going to do some more research and hopefully find some photographs of the front of the plane with this prop on it.

I am likely going to keep the prop, but the last thing I am really curious about is the value. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Kevin
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
            I doubt that it's from a dirigible, as you more likely would see "Airship" stamped rather than "Plane". The saw cut that precedes "NSP" may have cut into an "I" and it may be an inspection number. Similarly, I think the saw cut out a "1" before the "O2", so that line should read "102 x 108", which is the length and the pitch in inches. That corresponds to your length measurement of 8 ft 6 inches.

I've got some other Hartzell numbers and may be able to narrow it down a little more when I get a chance.
            By the way, everything you mentioned above was confirmed by Hartzell. Also, the article I mentioned says the NW2 had a nine foot prop, mine is 8 foot, 6 inches, but as you pointed out, 9 foot in pitch. The man at Hartzell said the article is referring to 9 foot in pitch and this prop is with out a doubt from this aircraft.

Comment

Working...
            X