Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early wooden propeller Sopwith

Hi, I'm new on this forum.

My parents have a nice wooden propeller, my grandfather had found it in ww1 in the neighbourhood of Maastricht, the Netherlands.

The measures are:
    Length: 2.5 meter
    Diameter of the middle: 18.5 cm
    Depth of the middle: 15 cm

The inscription on the propeller :
    Sop I
    Rh 120 IP
    Serie no 17B
    No 3041
    S17B

Some people told me that the propeller could be from a French built version of the Sopwith F1.

If they get a nice offer then maybe they like to sell it.
    If you are interested, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Inge Miesen
    The Netherlands

Welcome to the forum.

What does the wooden part of the hub look like? (Has it been altered, as for a clock insert?) Does the metal hub assembly look home made, or is it an original LeRhone hub?

Thanks.

Comment

The prop is original, my parents never wanted a clock in the hub.
      Only the metal hub has a red copper coating made by my father on it.

Comment

Thanks.

I looked up the drawing number (17B) for that model. It was manufactured by Helice Eclair and was designed for the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (1A2), which the French used as a reconaisance plane.

I suspect from its appearance that it has been re-varnished at some point. Eclair usually used decals on their propellers.

It's unusual to see such thin laminations of wood like that. Interesting.

Comment

Inge,

Can you please e-mail me at weebsf16@earthlink.net - I am interested in your propeller.

John

Comment

propeller sale

Inge,
            Is your propeller still for sale?

Comment

Yes, it´s still for sale.

Only if my parents get a good offer for it they would like to sell this prop.

Today I placed the propeller on the Dutch Ebay but you can also take a look at it on your Ebay site under `propeller`.

If you are interested you can sent me an e-mail.

Kind regards, Inge

Comment

Did you ever sell this prop?

Originally posted by dbahnvt View Post
                Thanks.

I looked up the drawing number (17B) for that model. It was manufactured by Helice Eclair and was designed for the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (1A2), which the French used as a reconaisance plane.

I suspect from its appearance that it has been re-varnished at some point. Eclair usually used decals on their propellers.

It's unusual to see such thin laminations of wood like that. Interesting.
                Hi guys, did you ever get this prop sold, I have a similar one, could someone advise me of the price which it was value at/sold for please?

Thanks, W

Comment

Originally posted by wexpier View Post
                  Hi guys, did you ever get this prop sold, I have a similar one, could someone advise me of the price which it was value at/sold for please?

Thanks, W
                  Some information got accidentally deleted in this an other threads. I can suggest that you just post some photos of your propeller and we can start there.

Comment

Is the prop still for sale? I m interested and I don t live so far away.

Comment

Working...
                    X