M Farman Propeller - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M Farman Propeller - help!

Hi, I've got a wooden propeller that I'm trying to get more information on. The propeller was thought to have been on a Caudron biplane but I'm not sure. The markings on the propeller are:

D.G. 2303
    D 2.90
    P 2 62 5
    H.P. 80 REN (or might be 30)
    M FARMAN
    B 28018

I'd like to know when this propeller was made and what sort of plane it could have been attached to.

Can anyone help?

Hi,
    Can you post clear pics of all the markings, the decal if some remains and one of the whole prop ?
    Regards,
    PM

Comment

Images

These are all I have. The propeller is currently on display in a museum at the moment.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'd be surprised that it was used on a Caudron, as the stampings suggest a Maurice Farman of some type. It's likely 80 (not 30) for the horsepower of the Renault engine.

The metal sheathing is a little unusual, and may suggest use on a float plane. Also, it's a right hand thread, which ordinarily suggests a tractor configuration, but I note that this DH1 propeller for a 80HP Renault engine is also a right hand thread.

I'll try to look up the drawing number when I get home, unless PMdec or Bob Gardner beats me to it.
        Dave

Comment

Hi,

It is a Chauvière (IPC in GB) for a Maurice Farman fitted with a Renault 80 HP engine. From the copper sheathing, probably for a MF-41 H with a Renault 8B.
          No guarantee!

PM

Comment

Oh wow that's amazing - thanks.

Do you know what year it would have been made?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynette Townsend View Post
              O.../...Do you know what year it would have been made?
              Sure! In the end of the second millenary AD

I am sure Bob Gardner has a more specific date with the prop number B 28018 (which seems pretty high).
              Are there any markings at the root of the blade, like Gxxxx Nxx? It seems it is the better way about when English props of this era were made.
              IF it was for Maurice Farman F-41 seaplane, those ones were used between 1917 and 1919, but some could have survived after the end of the war.

Regards,
              PM

Comment

Working...
              X