Looking for help to identify our Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help to identify our Prop

My little boy & I were yard saleing last season & stumbled upon this locally for $75! I have no idea what this came off of & where it may have been used, with a time period? What would you say this WW1 hammered copper wing tipped prop is valued at? I have been offered cash multiple times but do not intend to sell this item. We are enjoying this piece I have it hanging in my garage!! Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Without stamped information on it (usually on the hub) you can't be sure what it was used for. You can get an idea of what engines it doesn't fit by using this method. There were thousands of propeller designs even during WW1, and many of the look very similar or even identical.

Having said that, it's very similar in appearance to this propeller for an OX5 or this one.

Valuation is hard without more information. You did get a good buy, though, almost no matter what.
    Last edited by Dave; 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM.
    Dave

Comment

Here are some updates & photos of what I have, maybe this could help identify it. Thanks again!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Another photo with info on the prop
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a full shot
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't see a manufacturer stamp or label on it anywhere else though, does any of these help? This shows the depth. Thanks again!
            Attached Files

Comment

This shows the length from the center of the top to bottom holes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is a pic showing the hole size of the center cap
                Attached Files

Comment

This shows the wing up close.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Did you go to the link posted above to see if the hub dimensions match a known engine? That's where you start.

The "S.C. xxxxx" is a Signal Corps number, which is similar to a serial number and doesn't specifically identify it, but makes is likely from the late teens or early twenties, probably the latter.

The absence of decals suggests that it may have been refinished, even that was done 60 or 70 years ago, and the metal sheathing is minimally oxidized, suggesting the same thing.
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X