Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in identifying a ww1 propellor

Dear All,

I'm hoping that you can help me in identifying a propeller that has been cut down & had a french manufactured clock put in its hub.

The friend of mine who is the owner said that he had a relation that was a mechanic in the RFC / RAF in the first world war he told the family that the prop had come from a sopwith camel.

It has 8 holes in the hub, is two bladed & looks like it turned anti clockwise.
    The only ID stamped on it is as follows:

G5oN6 2714 dia, 1829 pitch

I understand that perhaps the G relates to a drawing no, & the N its serial no? please correct me if im wrong, is there any way that i can find out who manufactured it? & could it have been used on a camel?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

TonyO

The "G" and "N" numbers go together and relate to a production sequence of British manufactured propellers. They do not identify the drawing number at all.

I doubt very much that this was for a Camel. The most common diameter listed for the Camel was 2590 mm with pitch ranging from 2270 to 2920, for the LeRhone, Clerget and Bentley engines. One listed Camel prop had a diameter of 3200 with a pitch of 2920.

While it's remotely possible that it was a variant used on a Camel it's much more likely that it was designed for one of the other many applications. Most of the times that claims like this are made with the absence of verifying information they are just tall tales that often get passed down with the item.

If you can find a drawing number (it's unusual to have a G/N number without one) it might match something in my listings.

Comment

Many thanks for your quick response.

Further to my first posting, I've since been able to see it again & theres 4 squares containing the following stamped markings inside them. Unfortunately, the stamping was not hit square on so part of two of the numbers are missing

Theres also a capital "A" with a war dept arrow next to it.

A I D---------------------------A I D
      X70 (could be X30)-----------X70

A I D-------------------------- A I D
      26T----------------------------X82 (it could be X82 or X83)

These are all the markings that I can find - does this help in any way at all?

Many thanks

TonyO

Comment

Those are just inspector's stamps. They don't identify the propeller, just the inspector.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply - theres a metal disc on the back of the prop that is part of the clocks casing, i'll see if i can remove it to look for any more markings.

kindest regards

TonyO

Comment

propeller identification.

Dear All,

I finally managed to get my hands on the clock, and removed the bezel.

Stamped around the propeller hub was the following.

Y80 80HP GNOME TYPE 504 504A

Are the markings " type 504 504a " any chance related to the Avro 504 two seater?

regards tonyo

Comment

Yeah, I think I recognize the Y80 as a drawing number for the AVRO 504. I'll check when I get home this afternoon, but I do think that's the match.

Comment

The Y80 number is an A. V. Roe model and was applicable to the whole Avro 504 series with either the Clerget or Gnome 80 HP engine.

Comment

Working...
                X