ID please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID please!

I am a volunteer researcher at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fl. We recently had an inquiry about a propeller root, cut in two to make bookends, and presented to Governor Joseph B. Poindexter, Territory of Hawaii. Gov. Poindexter served in Hawaii from 1934 through 1942.
    I have tried to find the military contract number, drawing number, and other markings on this root, and have come up empty. Can you assist or point me in the right direction? I would like to know what type of aircraft this propeller was used on.
    I appreciate your assistance.

Pam ThomasVolunteer Researcher, Archives
    National Naval Aviation MuseumPensacola, Fl
    email: rhpbthomas@gmail.com
    Attached Files

I'm not exactly sure what we're looking at, but if it's a hub from a variable pitch propeller your best resource is Monte Chase at notplanejane.com. He has a gigantic collection of variable pitch props and is very knowledgeable about them.

Comment

Well, it's not the hub, but the root of a prop, filled with something and cut in two. I'm thinking part metal. Made under a US Navy contract, with a Drawing Number of 4709 and a Contract Number of 181?9. Don't know what the W4395 or the 6516 A CH stands for.

Comment

It might not even be related to a wooden blade. The airfoil appearance under the inscription to the Governor suggests that it was an all metal propeller blade. I'd still suggest contacting Monte Chase.

(I've also moved the thread to "modern" props, as it clearly is post WW1 vintage.)

Comment

Aren't "Modern" props usually shorter than 10' 6"? The "DWG-No 4709" stamp is followed by 10' 6". I did contact Monte, BTW.

Comment

"Modern" is an arbitrary distinction applied to wooden propellers, and it parallels to some extent the development of aircraft engines. After WW1 many of the existing propeller designs became obsolete as engine RPM increased and variable pitch propellers were developed. In the 1920s these wooden props were sold for as little as one or two dollars each because they were replaced by newer designs which were more efficient for the newer engines.

Comment

Working...
            X