Supermarine Spitfire MK 1 - wooden two bladed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarine Spitfire MK 1 - wooden two bladed

I am really new to this, but have a great desire for the design of the Spitfire. For many years I have had a dream to buy a two bladed wooden propeller from the MK 1 version.

I found out that a replica is my only alternative, but I have many questions.

Who was the original manufactor, Watts, de Havilland, Rotol or the "Garwood carpenters" ?

Which replica manufacture shld I choose, Spitfire spares (I learned today that these are prodused in the Philipines)?

Originally posted by Wooden propeller Norway View Post

(I learned today that these are prodused in the Philipines)?
    Really! Which company makes these?

DAI

Comment

I saw one thing like this on ebay few month ago.

Comment

There are various wooden props on ebay almost all the time, but I have never seen a Spitfire or Hurricane Watts propeller.

I have recently been in touch with a company in Canada who has made a Watts propeller for a RR Kestrel engined airworthy biplane, but he does not have the data for a Hurri/Spit Watts.

DAI

Comment

The Watts propeller i seen on ebay was the same one.
          It was send as a reproduction too:

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/propellors.html

Comment

relative value original Spitfire prop

Watts propeller was used on early Spitfire's rotype, Mk1 and Hurricane Mk1 replaced by the three bladed variable pitch props.
            Are there EVER any original Watts Spitfire props for sale?
            Any guess as to what ($US) originals sell for?

Thanks for posting this UK web site. These props look great.
            - Hand made using traditional methods by our craftsman.
            - marked correctly with period stamps.
            - made with quality Ash and Mahogany.
            Sell for 1200 Euros?

Although the builders do not like to call these props repros or copies
            They are not original
            Probably NOT inferior to the ones produced in the early 1930s made to original specs and identical in every way to the ones made 70 years ago, using the same labour intensive techniques.
            Craftsman takes 10 days to make propeller. Not massed produced yet there is large inventory of Propeller's.

New to prop collection just trying to get a handle on relative values?
            If more can be made, this would seem to put a lid on value?

Comment

Watts propeller

The Watts propellers for Hurricane and Spitfires are quite rare now; primarily because not many were fitted (600 to Hurricane Mk1, and only a handful for early Spit Mk1).

The props for the two aeroplanes were not the same, the hurricane being slightly larger diameter and different pitch.

The repro/copies that are available I do not believe are accurate:

- from the photo there are 10 securing bolt holes, whereas I understand the Merlin II Watts hub had 12.

- my references for a Spitfire Watts propeller indicate a diameter of 10' 11", and for the Hurricane Watts of 11' 03". The photo of the fellow standing holding the repro prop does not look to be of that diameter.
              Last edited by dairwin; 11-17-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X