Gardner Propellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner Propellers

My name is Robert Gardner. My Uncle Bill was William H. Gardner Jr and he manufactured Gardner Propellers in Forest Park IL. I would like to contact anyone who used or had knowledge of my Uncle. After WW2 he went out of business as the metal variable pitch prop took over the business.

Robert Gardner

If you have anything written on the Gardner history, I'd love to get your permission to include it on my Gardner web page. Unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute.

Lamar

Comment

My Uncle Bill Gardner was a very interesting man. He attended Dartmouth but never graduated. His interest in airplanes led him to design propellers. He opened a factory in Forest Park IL through the financing of his father who was a banker. My father was a lumberman and had his lumber company on the same property. I used to go down to the Propeller works and watch them build propellers. It had a wonderful smell of the glue room where they laminated the wood to make the propellers. He had two employees who were German and were expert craftsman in their trade. In WW2 he made club propellers for the air corps. After the war the propeller business started to fall apart due to the variable pitch props made of metal. He could not compete with them and moved his shop to Wisconsin and tried making golf club heads. This failed and he eventually got a job in Peoria IL as a draftsman. After he retired he moved to Springfield IL with his wife and became quite active in AA. He did a prison ministry for AA. Eventually his health failed and he passed away from heart failure.

I really wanted to know if there is anybody who used his product and if there are any of his props around.

Comment

Based upon my experience, Gardner props are pretty rare. Over the years I've seen perhaps four for sale and three of those were on eBay.

May I use your dialogue above on my website? Thank you.

Lamar

Comment

You may use my dialogue.

Robert Gardner

Comment

There is one Gardner Propeller for sale at:

http://www.barnstormers.com/Propelle...54263ea94b0eba

listed as ANTIQUE PROPELLER * $1.750* FOR SALE OR TRADE ... (posted June 16, 200

Comment

I wish that I could buy it but right now the discretionary fund is low and the war department I'm afraid would not allow.
              Thank you for that good information

Bob Gardner

Comment

Gardner props are rare and bring decent money on ebay. Does you family still have the rights?

Mike

Comment

Gardner Prop

I have a Gardner Prop designed for the Kinner K5 engine. The serial number is 0001. Is there any way to trace this to the original owner?

Comment

Gardner Propeller

I have a Gardner Propeller serial # 40158. Is it of any interest to anyone? My uncle gave to me as a kid. Boy was I excited. Unfortunately I never got the rest of the plane!

Joe G.

Comment

I also have a Gardner propeller for sale, and would be interested in offering if anyone is interested. It has the original finish and decals on it that say "Chicago Propeller', but I don't see any serial number. Can someone help with with where the location might be? Thank you.

Comment

We are a Museum in Northern Illinois and just received as a donation a wooden propeller with a decal that reads: Chicago Propellers - W.M.H Gardner
                        The donor said he got it in 1948 - it was being disposed of and it was given to him instead of junked. He thought it might have been on a PT-19, but not sure. Forest Park, ILL still legible in center of decal. Hub has 8 bolt holes. Any idea where I would find a serial number if still on there? It's quite dirty and needs to be cleaned up. Any other information would be useful. Thanks. Judi. Poplar Grove Vintae Wings & Wheels Museum.

Comment

I think Gardner stamped their drawing numbers on the hub itself, like many manufacturers. I'm not sure about "Chicago Propellers", i.e. whether it came before or after "Gardner Propellers".

When you get it cleaned up can you post a photo of it and a close-up of the decals?

Here's the list of known Gardner design numbers.
                          Dave

Comment

It is 8 feet long - has the scalloped reinforcements on the outside edges as seen in your photo. I'll get photos when cleaned up. the decal DEFINITELY reads at the top Chicago Propellers and at the bottom W.M.H Propellers, ... and I think it reads LtD... need to clean that up. I wonder if the metal hub is a later add-on. I can find no numbers on it. Metal sleeve goes through center of hub, 8 holes and 8 bolts with clevis pins.
                            Judi

Comment

Clevis pins would be a little unusual, but the rest sounds like an older model Gardner propeller, perhaps from very early in the company's history.

A picture here might help. I'm not sure what makes you wonder if the hub is an add-on.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X