Identification/value of old prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification/value of old prop

A friend has an old prop that I would like to obtain help with to try to identify and determine an approximate value. It is approximately 9 ft. in length, and appears to be a reverse pitch. He has been told that it is 1914 or older, but, we are uncertain as to the accuracy of that claim. It has very limited markings, which are shown poorly on the attached photos.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mike
    Attached Files

Can you post the numbers? The photos don't help much in that regard.

I would remove the metal plate, which doesn't look original. There might be something useful stamped on the hub behind it.

It's certainly "old", but it may not be possible to identify it, especially without more detail.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try to find the information that you asked for, and will reply again as soon as possible.
      Mike

Comment

Look for decals on the blades. Sometimes they are there but hard to see. DON'T ALTER THE FINISH TO LOOK FOR THEM. Whatever value it might have will be drastically lowered if the prop is altered in any way from original.

Measure the length from tip to tip.

Look for any small stampings, which are usually inspection stamps.

Carefully remove the metal plate to see what it's covering.

Comment

The use of olive green linen over the outer portion of each blade suggests that it is a British propeller made in 1917,

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X