Bleriot Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleriot Propeller

Good day. I wonder if anyone could shine some light on a propeller we have had for many years. It states on one side of the boss Bleriot X1 Gnome 80HP, and on the other side, Serie 199 No 4. On both blades there is a blue transfer carrying the name Helices Paris, and there is also a circular die cast stamp into the wood on both blades bearing the Helices logo and the words Les Files de Regy Freres. The reason for the request is that the boss has no bolt holes which has me puzzled. Apart from a 2 inch crack at one blade tip, it is in very good condition. Any comments would be most welcome.

Hi,
    Clear and large piictures of the 4 sides of the hub, of the decal and of the "die cast stamp"would be of great help!
    If you can't post them here, send them to me by mail (address below: have to be connected) and I will post them here.
    As the Regy serial 199 is not on the list of approved propellers for the 1914-1918 era, it could be a prototype never approved (so not drilled). Please take a little time to make some measurements:
    -length, blade width (at the larger point) and hub thickness.
    Pictures and dimensions probably will let know.

Regards,
    PM
    Last edited by pmdec; 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Bleriot Details

Bleriot Propeller Spec.

Length 98.5” – 2.5m
      Max Blade width 8.75” - 22cm

Boss diameter 7.5” – 185mm
      Boss 3.75” – 95mm

Hole diameter

Boss stamp – Bleriot Type X1
      Gnome 60 HP

Boss stamp Serie 199 No 4

Blade decals Helices Paris
      Blade stamp Les Fils le Regy Freres

Can't upload pics at the moment as the site is blocking them. Will keep trying.
      Last edited by dakota; 09-01-2014, 08:05 AM. Reason: duplication

Comment

Hi,
        On the forum, the pics have a maximum size and the files also. I have cropped and resized the large and very clear pics received by mail.
        To follow (no more than 4 pics are allowed).
        Regards,
        PM
        Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

The last pic received, a Régy decal and two detailed ones showing the different glue lines and wood grains. I suspect the hub has been drilled about 10 millimeters depth and two wooden discs about half the laminations thickness has been glued to change the holes pattern, but the last operation (new holes) has not been made.
          I have already seen something like that: just need to retrive the pics... It could takes to me a lot of time if nobody else remembers the thread (not even sure it was on this forum!).
          The marking pattern is clearly from 1914 or 1915. A very interesting prop! The only way to know if what I suspect is true is to make a X-ray: If you know or one of your friend knows somebody in a radiographic center, get the prop to them!

I will try to retrieve the prop with bolt holes pattern change using two wooden discs: be patient!

Regards,
          PM

Comment

I much appreciate your help and the detailed information you have given.

I may be able to to get a scan done later this month - let me know any specific requests. I will post the results as soon as available.

Comment

Hi,

I have retrieved the pics I was looking for.
              They are from a Levasseur prop which had been "redrilled". If it was not "damaged", it is very unlikely anybody would suspect anything special: the last pic is the other side of the hub and except a very thin glue line, nothing is visible. It was an airworthy modification as you could see the military stamps.
              There are dowels in the old holes, but I do think if it possible to see them from a facial and lateral X-rays because the dowels are probably made with a denser wood and, anyway, there is to be a peripherical compression of the wood, so denser "tubes" which will appear as whiter lines (side view) and whiter circles (facial view).
              On the Levasseur there is also a space between the wood disc and the hub which have to appear on a X-ray.
              On your prop, the added wood disc seems (if it is there!) thicker than the one of this Levasseur.

Let us view the scans when you will have made them!

Regards,
              PM

Comment

Bleriot Prop

Good information, many thanks. I will endevour to have the xray carried out in the next 2 weeks and report back.

Comment

Bleriot

A very belated response, and I hope this finds you well. Time has flown and I have now retired and the Bleriot is where it always was. Work commitments abroad meant I was never in a position to get the scans done which we discussed. I am moving abroad in a the Spring and will be looking to sell most of my things including the prop and my other aviation items. Looking back at our comms, I wonder if you could give me any idea of where I should pitch the price?

Kind regards

Comment

Hi Jos,
                    I haven't seen any photos of the prop on this thread but could be interested in buying it if you can email me photos please? Jason@franchiseadvice.com.au.
                    Cheers,
                    Jason
                    Jason Gehrke, Brisbane, Australia

Comment

Hello Jason. Apologies for the late response to your message. I will be posting images of the Bleriot prop in the next couple of days.
                      Regards
                      Jos

Comment

Thanks Jos. Looking forward to seeing them.
                        Cheers,
                        Jason
                        Jason Gehrke, Brisbane, Australia

Comment

Working...
                        X